May 31, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Jake Peavy missed the second half of last season following shoulder surgery and spent the first five weeks of this year on the disabled list as part of his recovery, but since rejoining the White Sox’s rotation on May 11 he’s 2-0 with a 3.24 ERA in four starts.
Even more impressive than the nice-looking 3.24 ERA is that Peavy has totaled 16 strikeouts in 25 innings while walking a grand total of one hitter (Ian Kinsler of the Rangers, on May 24).
Peavy’s current strikeout rate would be a career-low by a wide margin and his velocity is down somewhat, as he’s averaged 91.1 miles per hour with his fastball compared to 92-93 mph during his peak with the Padres.
On the other hand he remains far from a soft-tosser, racking up eight strikeouts in his shutout of the Indians on May 18, and the fact that his control has been so good after going 10 months between starts because of major shoulder surgery is remarkable.
Moving from the NL to the AL and from the majors’ most extreme pitcher-friendly ballpark to a home that boosts power means Peavy was never a good bet to replicate his outstanding raw numbers from San Diego even before the injury, but through 24 starts in Chicago he has a 3.97 ERA and 127/41 K/BB ratio and the White Sox have to be very encouraged by how he’s looked post-surgery.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)