May 31, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Jeff Niemann threw a 45-pitch simulated game yesterday and announced afterward that he’s “ready to take the next step” and begin a minor-league rehab assignment for the back injury that has kept him out since May 6.
Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune reports that Niemann will get his wish with rehab stint in which he’ll throw 60, 70, and 90 pitches in three scheduled starts.
Barring a setback, the plan is for Niemann to rejoin the Rays’ rotation five days after throwing 90 pitches in the third rehab start, which puts the timetable for his return sometime in late June.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)