May 31, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Jeff Niemann threw a 45-pitch simulated game yesterday and announced afterward that he’s “ready to take the next step” and begin a minor-league rehab assignment for the back injury that has kept him out since May 6.
Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune reports that Niemann will get his wish with rehab stint in which he’ll throw 60, 70, and 90 pitches in three scheduled starts.
Barring a setback, the plan is for Niemann to rejoin the Rays’ rotation five days after throwing 90 pitches in the third rehab start, which puts the timetable for his return sometime in late June.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (152)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)