May 31, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
The whole overrated/underrated game is always dicey because no one ever agrees on a rating baseline to begin with. Really, the underrated list tends to represent the most under-publicized and the overrated list tends to highlight the most overpaid.
Still, Sports Illustrated polls players on this stuff from time to time and, following up on Shin-Shoo Choo’s status as the most underrated player earlier this month, the magazine reveals that Alex Rodriguez is the most overrated. Right behind him is Joba Chamberlain, Derek Jeter, Jonathan Papelbon and Jayson Werth.
Last year Chamberlain “won” this award. I guess his sliding down the list means he’s better now! Or, wait, maybe it just means he’s more accurately-rated as sucking. Except, he doesn’t really suck in an absolute sense … Look, I told you that this was a dicey business, didn’t I?
All I ask is that when you start to argue about this in the comments, you at least define your terms, OK? Who rates them where and why are they overrated or not. If it’s just you saying someone sucks, well … OK, that’s probably no different than any other day. I’m just saying that it’s not all that illuminating.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 19
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 55
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (111)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (97)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along