May 31, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
The whole overrated/underrated game is always dicey because no one ever agrees on a rating baseline to begin with. Really, the underrated list tends to represent the most under-publicized and the overrated list tends to highlight the most overpaid.
Still, Sports Illustrated polls players on this stuff from time to time and, following up on Shin-Shoo Choo’s status as the most underrated player earlier this month, the magazine reveals that Alex Rodriguez is the most overrated. Right behind him is Joba Chamberlain, Derek Jeter, Jonathan Papelbon and Jayson Werth.
Last year Chamberlain “won” this award. I guess his sliding down the list means he’s better now! Or, wait, maybe it just means he’s more accurately-rated as sucking. Except, he doesn’t really suck in an absolute sense … Look, I told you that this was a dicey business, didn’t I?
All I ask is that when you start to argue about this in the comments, you at least define your terms, OK? Who rates them where and why are they overrated or not. If it’s just you saying someone sucks, well … OK, that’s probably no different than any other day. I’m just saying that it’s not all that illuminating.
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 9
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 170
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (170)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)