May 31, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
The whole overrated/underrated game is always dicey because no one ever agrees on a rating baseline to begin with. Really, the underrated list tends to represent the most under-publicized and the overrated list tends to highlight the most overpaid.
Still, Sports Illustrated polls players on this stuff from time to time and, following up on Shin-Shoo Choo’s status as the most underrated player earlier this month, the magazine reveals that Alex Rodriguez is the most overrated. Right behind him is Joba Chamberlain, Derek Jeter, Jonathan Papelbon and Jayson Werth.
Last year Chamberlain “won” this award. I guess his sliding down the list means he’s better now! Or, wait, maybe it just means he’s more accurately-rated as sucking. Except, he doesn’t really suck in an absolute sense … Look, I told you that this was a dicey business, didn’t I?
All I ask is that when you start to argue about this in the comments, you at least define your terms, OK? Who rates them where and why are they overrated or not. If it’s just you saying someone sucks, well … OK, that’s probably no different than any other day. I’m just saying that it’s not all that illuminating.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 18
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 81
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 6
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (82)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)