Red Sox activate Bobby Jenks from DL, option Michael Bowden to Triple-A

May 31, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT

Jenks_Bobby

As expected, the Red Sox have activated Bobby Jenks from the disabled list following a four-week stay for a strained biceps muscle.

Jenks struggled mightily before going on the DL, allowing 10 runs in 8.2 innings while opponents hit .333 with an .869 OPS off him, so he may have gain manager Terry Francona’s trust a bit before reclaiming a prominent late-inning role.

To make room for Jenks on the roster and in the bullpen the Red Sox optioned Michael Bowden back down to Triple-A. Bowden has already been called up to Boston twice this season, but he’s in appeared in just one game.

1. aceshigh11 - May 31, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Oh, please no. Leave him where he is.

The Sox started playing better as soon as Jenks, Lackey and Dice-K were all sent down/DL’d.

Coincidence? I think not.

2. patsandsox - May 31, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I think DiceK has played his last game for the Red Sox. Lackey we will be stuck with for many more seasons, kind of reminds me of the lefty in San Fran that signed the huge 7 year contract and has been vastly overpaid since.

Jenks started out badly I must admit, but hey lets at least give him a chance. He has a proven track record as a closer and now hes being asked to setup which seems to effect former closers.

I hope for the best here. I also so think it gave Papelbon motivation since look at the season he is having this year compared to his worst season last year.

3. patsandsox - May 31, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Still dont get the goat beard though

4. ryanmallettsbluntwrap - May 31, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I don’t know why they don’t keep Bowden and USE him , he did great in his few appearances last year , Jenks is okay to bring up , but Dan Wheeler has got to go , he looks terrible , not just last night but all year .

5. pisano - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:13 AM

So much for Aceves starting, got pounded pretty good by the White Sox tonight. His best role is middle relief. I hope Boston doesn’t burn him out.

6. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Jenks should be given the closer’s job, i cant wait for this guy to start pitching and i really miss Dice K and Lackey, gotta get those guys healthy and back on the hill for the blowsox ASAP!

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win