May 31, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
Looks like ESPNNewYork.com is hunting for traffic.
The ever familiar “source familiar with the organization’s thinking” told Adam Rubin that the Mets may re-sign free-agent-to-be Jose Reyes and trade David Wright next winter.
According to the unnamed source:
It will be a very ticklish situation because of what David has meant to the team for so long, but that’s not a concern of [GM Sandy Alderson]. There will be some capital there to spend on Reyes if they choose to go that direction. Now, he can’t obviously get monster money. If Reyes wants monster money, no, the Mets won’t keep him.
The source, of course, didn’t rule out a trade of Reyes before the deadline.
Wright is owed $15 million next year, and his contract includes a $16 million option for 2013 that will be picked up if he stays healthy. There’d be plenty of interest in him if the Mets did make him available over the winter. Aramis Ramirez and Casey Blake are going to be the best third basemen available in free agency.
Still, it’s hard to see why the Mets would move Wright, only to spend his money on what would have to be a long-term deal for Reyes. Wright is more durable, and he has the better track record. It’s true that his numbers have suffered in Citi Field, but he’s still one of the game’s very best third basemen and he’s just 28.
Anyway, with big trade offers for Reyes likely to come in before the deadline, it’s not even going to be worth speculating on Reyes vs. Wright until Aug. 1.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 9
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 64
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 70
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (147)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)