May 31, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
Looks like ESPNNewYork.com is hunting for traffic.
The ever familiar “source familiar with the organization’s thinking” told Adam Rubin that the Mets may re-sign free-agent-to-be Jose Reyes and trade David Wright next winter.
According to the unnamed source:
It will be a very ticklish situation because of what David has meant to the team for so long, but that’s not a concern of [GM Sandy Alderson]. There will be some capital there to spend on Reyes if they choose to go that direction. Now, he can’t obviously get monster money. If Reyes wants monster money, no, the Mets won’t keep him.
The source, of course, didn’t rule out a trade of Reyes before the deadline.
Wright is owed $15 million next year, and his contract includes a $16 million option for 2013 that will be picked up if he stays healthy. There’d be plenty of interest in him if the Mets did make him available over the winter. Aramis Ramirez and Casey Blake are going to be the best third basemen available in free agency.
Still, it’s hard to see why the Mets would move Wright, only to spend his money on what would have to be a long-term deal for Reyes. Wright is more durable, and he has the better track record. It’s true that his numbers have suffered in Citi Field, but he’s still one of the game’s very best third basemen and he’s just 28.
Anyway, with big trade offers for Reyes likely to come in before the deadline, it’s not even going to be worth speculating on Reyes vs. Wright until Aug. 1.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 75
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)