May 31, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
Looks like ESPNNewYork.com is hunting for traffic.
The ever familiar “source familiar with the organization’s thinking” told Adam Rubin that the Mets may re-sign free-agent-to-be Jose Reyes and trade David Wright next winter.
According to the unnamed source:
It will be a very ticklish situation because of what David has meant to the team for so long, but that’s not a concern of [GM Sandy Alderson]. There will be some capital there to spend on Reyes if they choose to go that direction. Now, he can’t obviously get monster money. If Reyes wants monster money, no, the Mets won’t keep him.
The source, of course, didn’t rule out a trade of Reyes before the deadline.
Wright is owed $15 million next year, and his contract includes a $16 million option for 2013 that will be picked up if he stays healthy. There’d be plenty of interest in him if the Mets did make him available over the winter. Aramis Ramirez and Casey Blake are going to be the best third basemen available in free agency.
Still, it’s hard to see why the Mets would move Wright, only to spend his money on what would have to be a long-term deal for Reyes. Wright is more durable, and he has the better track record. It’s true that his numbers have suffered in Citi Field, but he’s still one of the game’s very best third basemen and he’s just 28.
Anyway, with big trade offers for Reyes likely to come in before the deadline, it’s not even going to be worth speculating on Reyes vs. Wright until Aug. 1.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)