May 31, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
Looks like ESPNNewYork.com is hunting for traffic.
The ever familiar “source familiar with the organization’s thinking” told Adam Rubin that the Mets may re-sign free-agent-to-be Jose Reyes and trade David Wright next winter.
According to the unnamed source:
It will be a very ticklish situation because of what David has meant to the team for so long, but that’s not a concern of [GM Sandy Alderson]. There will be some capital there to spend on Reyes if they choose to go that direction. Now, he can’t obviously get monster money. If Reyes wants monster money, no, the Mets won’t keep him.
The source, of course, didn’t rule out a trade of Reyes before the deadline.
Wright is owed $15 million next year, and his contract includes a $16 million option for 2013 that will be picked up if he stays healthy. There’d be plenty of interest in him if the Mets did make him available over the winter. Aramis Ramirez and Casey Blake are going to be the best third basemen available in free agency.
Still, it’s hard to see why the Mets would move Wright, only to spend his money on what would have to be a long-term deal for Reyes. Wright is more durable, and he has the better track record. It’s true that his numbers have suffered in Citi Field, but he’s still one of the game’s very best third basemen and he’s just 28.
Anyway, with big trade offers for Reyes likely to come in before the deadline, it’s not even going to be worth speculating on Reyes vs. Wright until Aug. 1.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)