May 31, 2011, 8:04 PM EST
Good news for the pathetic Nationals’ offense.
Zimmerman has been limited to just eight games this season due to an abdominal injury. He was initially placed on the disabled list on April 12 and had surgery to repair a torn rectus muscle in his abdomen on May 3.
The Nats’ third baseman wrote about his rehab in a blog post with CSNWashington.com earlier today:
If you haven’t seen, I’ve been out of the lineup for a while rehabbing an abdominal tear that occurred a few months ago. I attempted to rehab it without surgery for the first few weeks, and I just couldn’t get it back to where I needed to be full strength. Dr. Meyers in Philadelphia is the best in the business for this procedure, and after some heavy thinking, we decided it was the best idea to go ahead with the surgery.
In just four short weeks, I’m already almost back to full baseball activities and will be joining an affiliate shortly to get a couple of games under my belt before returning to D.C.
Zimmerman was originally expected to miss 6-to-8 weeks following surgery, so he’s currently on track to return sometime in the middle of June.
Nationals’ third basemen have combined to bat .274 entering Tuesday’s action, which sounds just dandy, but they only have three homers and 16 RBI. And that includes Zimmerman’s one home run and four RBI prior to going on the disabled list.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)