Jun 1, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
Andrew Bailey, who missed the first two months with a strained forearm, just pitched his second perfect inning in two appearances since coming off the DL, getting two groundouts and a flyout in the ninth inning with the A’s down by two against the Yankees.
Bailey has yet to get a strikeout since returning, but he is throwing his usual 93-94 mph, suggesting that they’ll be coming soon enough. The A’s may give him one or two more appearances in non-save situations first, but it’s clear he’ll resume closing for the team soon.
Brian Fuentes, who closer in Bailey’s absence, is 11-for-13 saving games, though he’s lost seven times and given up 18 runs — 12 earned — in 24 1/3 innings. He’ll move back into a setup role.
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 4
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 18
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 8
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)