Jun 1, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
Top prospects for two teams — the Giants’ Brandon Belt and the Blue Jays’ Brett Lawrie — each had scares yesterday as they were each hit by pitches on the left wrist. Each of them also received good news: in both cases no bones were broken and the diagnosis was a mere bruise.
Lawrie’s little ordeal was more interesting inasmuch as it kind of unfolded in real time. Reader Rob Browne emailed me about his HBP right as it happened in the Las Vegas-Tucson game, I tweeted it and then the Internet went kind of wacko for a while. Understandable given how much Jays’ fans are anticipating Lawrie’s arrival in Toronto, most likely at the end of the week. Lawrie was rather anxious too, tweeting the following:
At hospital , pls be bruised .. #praying
Just a BRUISE !!! #yaaaaabudddddy
Belt’s news came in more traditional fashion, with Andrew Baggarly tweeting it.
Both guys will probably get a day or two off after which they can continue to serve as the repository for their respective fan bases’ hopes and dreams.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 19
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 65
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)