Jun 1, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
Top prospects for two teams — the Giants’ Brandon Belt and the Blue Jays’ Brett Lawrie — each had scares yesterday as they were each hit by pitches on the left wrist. Each of them also received good news: in both cases no bones were broken and the diagnosis was a mere bruise.
Lawrie’s little ordeal was more interesting inasmuch as it kind of unfolded in real time. Reader Rob Browne emailed me about his HBP right as it happened in the Las Vegas-Tucson game, I tweeted it and then the Internet went kind of wacko for a while. Understandable given how much Jays’ fans are anticipating Lawrie’s arrival in Toronto, most likely at the end of the week. Lawrie was rather anxious too, tweeting the following:
At hospital , pls be bruised .. #praying
Just a BRUISE !!! #yaaaaabudddddy
Belt’s news came in more traditional fashion, with Andrew Baggarly tweeting it.
Both guys will probably get a day or two off after which they can continue to serve as the repository for their respective fan bases’ hopes and dreams.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 21
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)