Jun 1, 2011, 5:43 PM EDT
A pair of big losses for first-place St. Louis.
Cardinals GM John Mozeliak told the media Wednesday that both Matt Holliday and Kyle McClellan would go on the DL prior to Thursday’s game.
Holliday has been nursing a quad injury for over a week now. He missed six games before returning to the lineup Monday. He was able to gut it out then, but he was scratched from Tuesday’s lineup and he’s obviously not playing tonight.
His replacement on the roster wasn’t announced.
McClellan, who has gone 6-2 with a 3.86 ERA in his first year as a starter, is out with a strained hip flexor. Taking his spot in the rotation will be Lance Lynn. He’s slated to pitch tomorrow, giving both Jaime Garcia and Kyle Lohse an extra day before their next starts.
Lynn, a 2008 supplemental first-round pick, lost the competition for a rotation spot with McClellan this spring. He was 5-3 with a 4.06 ERA and a 54/21 K/BB ratio for Triple-A Memphis, and he gave up just one homer in 62 innings. He’ll be making his major league debut.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)