Jun 1, 2011, 5:43 PM EDT
A pair of big losses for first-place St. Louis.
Cardinals GM John Mozeliak told the media Wednesday that both Matt Holliday and Kyle McClellan would go on the DL prior to Thursday’s game.
Holliday has been nursing a quad injury for over a week now. He missed six games before returning to the lineup Monday. He was able to gut it out then, but he was scratched from Tuesday’s lineup and he’s obviously not playing tonight.
His replacement on the roster wasn’t announced.
McClellan, who has gone 6-2 with a 3.86 ERA in his first year as a starter, is out with a strained hip flexor. Taking his spot in the rotation will be Lance Lynn. He’s slated to pitch tomorrow, giving both Jaime Garcia and Kyle Lohse an extra day before their next starts.
Lynn, a 2008 supplemental first-round pick, lost the competition for a rotation spot with McClellan this spring. He was 5-3 with a 4.06 ERA and a 54/21 K/BB ratio for Triple-A Memphis, and he gave up just one homer in 62 innings. He’ll be making his major league debut.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)