Jun 1, 2011, 5:43 PM EDT
A pair of big losses for first-place St. Louis.
Cardinals GM John Mozeliak told the media Wednesday that both Matt Holliday and Kyle McClellan would go on the DL prior to Thursday’s game.
Holliday has been nursing a quad injury for over a week now. He missed six games before returning to the lineup Monday. He was able to gut it out then, but he was scratched from Tuesday’s lineup and he’s obviously not playing tonight.
His replacement on the roster wasn’t announced.
McClellan, who has gone 6-2 with a 3.86 ERA in his first year as a starter, is out with a strained hip flexor. Taking his spot in the rotation will be Lance Lynn. He’s slated to pitch tomorrow, giving both Jaime Garcia and Kyle Lohse an extra day before their next starts.
Lynn, a 2008 supplemental first-round pick, lost the competition for a rotation spot with McClellan this spring. He was 5-3 with a 4.06 ERA and a 54/21 K/BB ratio for Triple-A Memphis, and he gave up just one homer in 62 innings. He’ll be making his major league debut.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 58
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)