Jun 1, 2011, 5:43 PM EDT
A pair of big losses for first-place St. Louis.
Cardinals GM John Mozeliak told the media Wednesday that both Matt Holliday and Kyle McClellan would go on the DL prior to Thursday’s game.
Holliday has been nursing a quad injury for over a week now. He missed six games before returning to the lineup Monday. He was able to gut it out then, but he was scratched from Tuesday’s lineup and he’s obviously not playing tonight.
His replacement on the roster wasn’t announced.
McClellan, who has gone 6-2 with a 3.86 ERA in his first year as a starter, is out with a strained hip flexor. Taking his spot in the rotation will be Lance Lynn. He’s slated to pitch tomorrow, giving both Jaime Garcia and Kyle Lohse an extra day before their next starts.
Lynn, a 2008 supplemental first-round pick, lost the competition for a rotation spot with McClellan this spring. He was 5-3 with a 4.06 ERA and a 54/21 K/BB ratio for Triple-A Memphis, and he gave up just one homer in 62 innings. He’ll be making his major league debut.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)