Carlos Marmol asploded last night

Jun 1, 2011, 8:47 AM EST

Carlos Marmol

I mentioned this in the recaps, but it’s due it’s own post: Cubs’ closer Carlos Marmol was absolutely hammered last night, blowing the game against the Astros in epic-style.  Taking the ball with a 3-1 lead at the beginning of the ninth inning, it went like this:

Single
Double
Double
Sacrifice — hey, an out!
Single
Walk
Home Run

And that’s how a 3-1 lead becomes a 7-3 deficit in no time flat.

There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with Marmol. After the game he said that he simply didn’t have it: “It was a bad day. What can you do about it? They swung at your best pitch and they hit it.”

I like that casually dissociative “your,” there. Like he watched it happen in some sort of out-of-body experience. Which, frankly, is probably a good thing.

1. hoopmatch - Jun 1, 2011 at 8:54 AM

The Cubs will think twice before they ask for Marmol aid again.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Guess they’ll use Marshall (jelly) or Wood (jam).

2. Alex K - Jun 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM

It got out of hand really fast…I looked up and the Cubs were down 4. So awful.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 1, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I was watching the Saaaaax, who had a relief asplosion as well, giving up 6 in the final couple innings, but of course they were up 10-1. I didn’t see the post-game Ozzie conference, but I’m guessing he wasn’t pleased.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 1, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I want to see his breakdown of what happened, and follow it up with the ChiSox translation.

4. thomas2727 - Jun 1, 2011 at 10:27 AM

To think I thought hiring Quade was the right decision.

Sure they have had major injury issues with the starting rotation. But this team looks unprepared on a daily basis.

So many boneheaded plays.

At some point the manager has to be the fall guy.
    I wonder if Ryno would even want the job if Quade gets fired?

The only positive thing I see this year is Castro and Barney look good so they should be set at 2B and SS for the new few years.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 1, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Ryno is going to take over for Charlie when he finally retires. He has the Iron Pigs playing well and winning games which is surprising given their roster sucks.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 1, 2011 at 11:04 AM

From what was going back and forth and how Ryno left, it would take a lot for him to come back. But, as drmonkeyarmy said, he’s also doing pretty well for the IronPigs, so I really don’t see him going anywhere right now.

• thomas2727 - Jun 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I agree Ryno is surely going to be the guy to step in for Charlie when he leaves the Phillies.

That being said I am sure he has an out clause to interview for any MLB managerial openings.

Probably a long shot he would go back to the Cubs as long as Hendry is there.
        Hopefully Hendry will be gone soon.

5. The Rabbit - Jun 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with Marmol.
    Nothing that the team is talking about.
    There is a graph tracking his velocity over his career. At least one writer has concerns.

6. Old Gator - Jun 1, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I liked “asloded.” Craig, you can always get a job as a beat writer in Macondo when cyberspace evolves into the matrix and everyone accesses Circling the Bases via skull jacks. You’ve got the local patois down cold, Bubba.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Asploded, that is. Heh. Too quick on the click again.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2730)
  2. W. Myers (2475)
  3. C. McGehee (2080)
  4. D. Ross (2077)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1932)
  1. J. Shields (1821)