Carlos Marmol asploded last night

Jun 1, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT

Carlos Marmol

I mentioned this in the recaps, but it’s due it’s own post: Cubs’ closer Carlos Marmol was absolutely hammered last night, blowing the game against the Astros in epic-style.  Taking the ball with a 3-1 lead at the beginning of the ninth inning, it went like this:

Single
Double
Double
Sacrifice — hey, an out!
Single
Walk
Home Run

And that’s how a 3-1 lead becomes a 7-3 deficit in no time flat.

There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with Marmol. After the game he said that he simply didn’t have it: “It was a bad day. What can you do about it? They swung at your best pitch and they hit it.”

I like that casually dissociative “your,” there. Like he watched it happen in some sort of out-of-body experience. Which, frankly, is probably a good thing.

1. hoopmatch - Jun 1, 2011 at 8:54 AM

The Cubs will think twice before they ask for Marmol aid again.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Guess they’ll use Marshall (jelly) or Wood (jam).

2. Alex K - Jun 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM

It got out of hand really fast…I looked up and the Cubs were down 4. So awful.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 1, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I was watching the Saaaaax, who had a relief asplosion as well, giving up 6 in the final couple innings, but of course they were up 10-1. I didn’t see the post-game Ozzie conference, but I’m guessing he wasn’t pleased.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 1, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I want to see his breakdown of what happened, and follow it up with the ChiSox translation.

4. thomas2727 - Jun 1, 2011 at 10:27 AM

To think I thought hiring Quade was the right decision.

Sure they have had major injury issues with the starting rotation. But this team looks unprepared on a daily basis.

So many boneheaded plays.

At some point the manager has to be the fall guy.
    I wonder if Ryno would even want the job if Quade gets fired?

The only positive thing I see this year is Castro and Barney look good so they should be set at 2B and SS for the new few years.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 1, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Ryno is going to take over for Charlie when he finally retires. He has the Iron Pigs playing well and winning games which is surprising given their roster sucks.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 1, 2011 at 11:04 AM

From what was going back and forth and how Ryno left, it would take a lot for him to come back. But, as drmonkeyarmy said, he’s also doing pretty well for the IronPigs, so I really don’t see him going anywhere right now.

• thomas2727 - Jun 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I agree Ryno is surely going to be the guy to step in for Charlie when he leaves the Phillies.

That being said I am sure he has an out clause to interview for any MLB managerial openings.

Probably a long shot he would go back to the Cubs as long as Hendry is there.
        Hopefully Hendry will be gone soon.

5. The Rabbit - Jun 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with Marmol.
    Nothing that the team is talking about.
    There is a graph tracking his velocity over his career. At least one writer has concerns.

6. Old Gator - Jun 1, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I liked “asloded.” Craig, you can always get a job as a beat writer in Macondo when cyberspace evolves into the matrix and everyone accesses Circling the Bases via skull jacks. You’ve got the local patois down cold, Bubba.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Asploded, that is. Heh. Too quick on the click again.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey