Jun 1, 2011, 9:11 PM EST
Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona passes along word that the Diamondbacks have acquired catcher Lucas May from the Royals. No word yet on the compensation for Kansas City, but there’s a good chance it’s either a player to be named later or cash.
May, 26, was drafted by the Dodgers in the eighth round of the 2003 MLB Amateur Draft. He’s posted an underwhelming .258/.320/.432 batting line in nine minor league seasons and was hitting just .176/.263/.329 in 95 plate appearances this year at the Royals’ Triple-A affiliate in Omaha, Nebraska.
May was given nine starts with the big league Royals last season, but wasn’t going to be in the mix for playing time in Kansas City here in 2011. He will function as organizational depth for the Diamondbacks.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)