Jun 1, 2011, 9:54 PM EDT
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports heard from a source late Wednesday evening that Red Sox right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka is considering undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery following his visit this week with Dr. Lewis Yocum.
According to Brown’s source, the Los Angeles-based Yocum found a “significant tear” in Matsuzaka’s throwing elbow and recommended the procedure. Dice-K will meet with the Red Sox front office and medical staff before any decisions are made.
The 30-year-old signed a six-year, $52 million contract with the Red Sox in December of 2006 after Boston paid the Seibu Lions over $51 million for exclusive negotiating rights. He’s making $10 million this season and is owed another $10 million in 2012.
If Matsuzaka undergoes Tommy John surgery, there’s a chance he won’t return before the end of that deal. Recovery times vary, but it can often take over 15 months for some starting pitchers to fully heal.
Matsuzaka has posted a 49-30 win-loss record, a 4.25 ERA and a 1.40 WHIP in his four-plus rocky years with Boston. He drew Cy Young Award votes in 2008, by far his best season to date. The Tokyo native had a 5.30 ERA, 1.47 WHIP and 26/23 K/BB ratio in 37 1/3 innings this year before he was shut down in mid-May.
UPDATE: Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston is now reporting that Dice-K has elected to have Tommy John surgery and will inform the Red Sox Thursday morning. He’s likely to undergo the procedure early next week.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)