Jun 1, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
Bob Klapisch writes about Bartolo Colon and the stem cell procedure he received. He doesn’t go as far as John Harper did with Jose Bautista in terms of veiled accusations of PED use, but if you could find any evidence in his story that he believes Colon and his doctor when they say that Colon is clean, please point it out to me, because I can’t find it.
Most of the article is spent talking about Major League Baseball’s suspicions of Colon, even though no Major League Baseball official has been willing to go on record with any suspicions. And this passage provides some pretty good guilt-by-association fodder:
Bud Selig will be looking for ways to govern players on hiatus or in semi-retirement, especially those living in other countries. Currently, there’s no way to stop anyone from loading up, whether it’s HGH or steroids. Colon, then, would fit neatly into the Yankees’ PED culture of the early 2000s. There was Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte, Jason Giambi, Chuck Knoblauch, David Justice – and now Colon. But Purita is protesting any loose logic that indicts his client.
The alpha and omega of the case against Colon is that he worked with a doctor who has used HGH in his practice with other patients. That’s it. Of course, Marlon Byrd uses BALCO’s Victor Conte as his supplement provider and we don’t assume that he’s dirty, so there must be something else at play here.
The only thing I can figure: a guy we thought was finished turns out not to be finished after all. Something which, once upon a time, we thought was a pretty uplifting story. Guess we don’t think that anymore.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)