Jun 1, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
Bob Klapisch writes about Bartolo Colon and the stem cell procedure he received. He doesn’t go as far as John Harper did with Jose Bautista in terms of veiled accusations of PED use, but if you could find any evidence in his story that he believes Colon and his doctor when they say that Colon is clean, please point it out to me, because I can’t find it.
Most of the article is spent talking about Major League Baseball’s suspicions of Colon, even though no Major League Baseball official has been willing to go on record with any suspicions. And this passage provides some pretty good guilt-by-association fodder:
Bud Selig will be looking for ways to govern players on hiatus or in semi-retirement, especially those living in other countries. Currently, there’s no way to stop anyone from loading up, whether it’s HGH or steroids. Colon, then, would fit neatly into the Yankees’ PED culture of the early 2000s. There was Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte, Jason Giambi, Chuck Knoblauch, David Justice – and now Colon. But Purita is protesting any loose logic that indicts his client.
The alpha and omega of the case against Colon is that he worked with a doctor who has used HGH in his practice with other patients. That’s it. Of course, Marlon Byrd uses BALCO’s Victor Conte as his supplement provider and we don’t assume that he’s dirty, so there must be something else at play here.
The only thing I can figure: a guy we thought was finished turns out not to be finished after all. Something which, once upon a time, we thought was a pretty uplifting story. Guess we don’t think that anymore.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 0
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 8
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)