Jun 1, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Matt Garza is eligible to return from the disabled list Friday and the Cubs were initially hoping his elbow injury would be healed enough for him to face the Cardinals this weekend, but Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago says those plans have been scratched.
Garza threw from flat ground Monday and said afterward that “everything felt great,” but instead he’ll remain on the DL and throw bullpen sessions today and Saturday.
Acquired from the Rays for a five-prospect package in January, Garza led the league with 11.0 strikeouts per nine innings prior to being shut down on May 18.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 20
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)