Jun 1, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Matt Garza is eligible to return from the disabled list Friday and the Cubs were initially hoping his elbow injury would be healed enough for him to face the Cardinals this weekend, but Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago says those plans have been scratched.
Garza threw from flat ground Monday and said afterward that “everything felt great,” but instead he’ll remain on the DL and throw bullpen sessions today and Saturday.
Acquired from the Rays for a five-prospect package in January, Garza led the league with 11.0 strikeouts per nine innings prior to being shut down on May 18.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 30
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 84
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)