“Moneyball” starring MLB.com’s Dick Kaegel

Jun 1, 2011, 1:01 PM EST

Moneyball

I don’t have strong feelings one way or the other when it comes to either (a) MLB.com’s Royals beat writer Dick Kaegel; or (b) press box etiquette. But I do really like this story for some reason:

Moneyball comes out 09/23. When filming in press box at OAK last year one KC reporter refused to move so they had to put him in the shot … It’s vet Dick Kaegel. Hope his movie debut isn’t left on cutting room floor.

I will, however, start to have strong positive feelings about Kaegel if it’s revealed that his refusal to move for the shot was communicated with zero eye contact and some variation of “eff off, I’m working here.”  If he sarcastically referred to the director as “Scorsese,” or “Billy Wilder” or something, extra bonus points.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Maybe he wasn’t ready for his close-up.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM

What a moron. Seriously, the guy couldn’t move for them to shoot the scene? If I were the director I would have asked someone from the KC organization to move the guy, since I am sure there was a lot of time and money tied up in the shot. It wasn’t like they asked the owner of the A’s to move…or they asked the pitcher to hold up the ball a certain way in the middle of a game. They asked this sportswriter to move, and as is typical with some sportswriters who think they are the biggest thing in the world, he declined to move. Putz.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Sorry…OAK organization…I mean, this guy wasn’t even at his home team’s game and he acted this way? Ludicrous.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Wow…I’m shocked to see people siding with the lousy sportswriter. Usually, everybody bashes the sportswriters around HBT, but I guess in this case, it’s the lesser of two evils(me).

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I agree with you. People are just giving you the thumbs down because they are use to giving you a thumbs down.

• kopy - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I’d wanna know why he moved before I judge him. Maybe he crapped his pants, and he didn’t want to stand up in front of everyone so they could see the stains? I’m just saying.

• Paul White - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Presuming the filming was taking place during a game (otherwise, why were sportswriters in the press box at all), then I have no problem with Kaegel’s actions. He’s being paid to do his job and that’s the place he does it during games. His job isn’t any less important just because he doesn’t make movies for a living, and his job doesn’t just go away because someone happens to have a camera running while he’s doing it.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Oh come on…it’s just common courtesy. He couldn’t do “his job” of watching the baseball game from 20 feet away for a couple innings? Give me a break.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Some guy holds up production of a major motion picture, for which they probably needed to get the permission of Major League Baseball along with the Oakland A’s team to be able to use their ballpark for filming, and people side with the guy? Sometimes you guys really amaze me.

OK, you are all right and I was wrong. It’s perfectly justifiable for one man to not give up his seat for a film being made. I mean, where else in the 80% empty A’s stadium would he be able to watch the game and do his job except from that one seat. How silly of me to think that he should have moved to be accomodating for the hundreds of people there to film a movie and do their job, instead of him selfishly staying put like he was Rosa freaking Parks refusing to give up his seat on the bus.

• Paul White - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Yes, there are any number of things he could have been in the middle of doing that made it unreasonable for him to disconnect and move. (If he was in the middle of posting something to a server, in the middle of an online discussion of his game story with his editor, in the middle of filing a live game blog, in the middle of a live chat for MLB.com, etc., etc.). I don’t see any reason to blast him as a self-centered moron based on the single twitter in question.

• spudchukar - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:40 PM

A) When did “common courtesy” enter your consciousness? and B) Why is it that I tend to believe you would be the one to tell the director to “eff off”, I’m sittin’ here.

• Paul White - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Correction, make that single tweet. Or single twitterer if you prefer.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Yeah, there no place else in all of the Stadium with an internet connection, right? Puh-leeze. You can continue to make excuses for the guy and I’ll use my common sense and say that he refused to move because he was just being stubborn.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:44 PM

It clearly reads “one KC reporter refused to move so they had to put him in the shot.” He refused to move. I am sure he had ample time to save what he was writing, if that is even the case, and move somewhere nearby where he could easily watch the game and do his work. It’s not like it was the Indy 500 or the Final Four where everyone was crowding that late season KC-OAK game.

Common courtesy…just because I disagree with you on occassion, potatoman, doesn’t mean I don’t practice it in my life. But yeah, I guess he was busy in that spot and he couldn’t move…even for a multi-million dollar production. Pathetic…and even more pathetic that you guys would back the guy on it.

• Paul White - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:44 PM

We’re talking about the old Coliseum. It’s entirely possible that there ISN’T anyplace else with internet connectivity besides the press box.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:52 PM

OK, I see. So there was no place else in the old decrepit stadium for this jack-ass to move to accommodate the multi-million dollar production.

I apologize to Mr. Kaegel as I am sure he valued that seat as much as anything in his life at that moment and it was his God-Given right to not move out of the seat that he DIDN’T EVEN HAVE TO FREAKING PAY FOR so that the movie could be shot. I also apologize to the entire HBT planet as my words in this post have been hurtful to this great man and to great men like him all across the land. Furthermore, I apologize to the loser…er the great man who I called a loser…who has spent 48,000 minutes rolling dice to recreate the 2008 Major League Baseball season. He’s not a loser. He’s another great man who should be hailed, not mocked.

Thank you all for helping me to see the light.

• Steve A - Jun 1, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I agree with Paul. Also, it’s possible that the movie crew came in to start shooting after the game started and the writers were in place. If that’s the case, and there was no notice given by the team or stadium staff, then I can see Kaegel’s stance. I may not agree with his refusal to move, but as stated before, he’s doing his job in his workplace. If he didn’t know that the crew was going to be in there, then he’s not at fault here.

Also, the press box is sacred ground to these writers. I mean, look at their strict no cheering rules. Even a slight outburst at a great play gets dirty looks. Plus, from what I’ve read, the BBWAA worked very hard to get a spot at each stadium dedicated to their members. An old-school guy like Kaegel appears not to be willing to give that privilege away.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 1, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Explain away. The fact is that from what was written on Twitter, this was the guy who refused to move when the multi-million dollar movie crew asked him to move. You can make excuses for the guy, but the fact remains that he didn’t move when asked, no matter when they asked. If you agree with some hack sportswriter who puts himself above a multi-million dollar production of a movie that they clearly got permission from both the A’s and MLB, then you are crazy. A member of the BBWAA, as they typically do with their lousy voting on awards and the BBHOF, showed typical arrogance and self-righteousness here.

• raysfan1 - Jun 2, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Afraid I gotta agree with Fiorentino on this one. This Kaegel guy even wrote about it (link by Prof Longnose below): “Later in the day, the movie-makers were filming scenes in the press box. Look for your favorite baseball writers coming soon to a theater near you.” Seems to me that this guy actually refused to move knowing it would put him in the picture and wanted it that way. Certainly not the case that he was just doing his job.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Hoffman is in it? Excellent news. That guy is pretty awesome. I’m not sure who this Pitt guy is but it looks like he has good character.

4. ss - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I was unaware that Dick Kaegel’s even existed. Guess that’s what happens when you’re raised Catholic.

• cur68 - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Duuuuuuuuuuude! Took me a couple of reads to get this but it was WORTH IT!

ROFL!

• paperlions - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Pretty sure dick kegels are illegal in Canada, sorry.

• cur68 - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Then I’m breaking the law as I sit here and ignore my thesis.

“a 1 and a 2 and a 3…”

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:45 PM

That’s funny. Good sense of humor on this lad.

• kopy - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Definitely worth scrolling all the way down for.

• raysfan1 - Jun 2, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Sadly, I can only add one thumbs up to you. I presume the two thumbs down are people even more jealous than me for having not thought of that line first.

5. Professor Longnose - Jun 1, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Here’s Kaegel’s mention of it after it happened: http://jjb.yuku.com/reply/9951970/t/Re-Brad-Angelina-Children-MEGA-POST-Part-10-.html#.TeaIMVuDRQg

6. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 1, 2011 at 4:35 PM

This is a movie about Billy Beane! Any way to mess that up is fine with me.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5237)
  2. M. Kemp (3113)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2809)
  4. C. McGehee (2802)