Jun 1, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Ozzie Guillen and Bobby Jenks had a nasty breakup, with mud being slung from both sides after Jenks signed with the Red Sox as a free agent and Guillen hinting at having some further bombs to lob should things escalate.
Eventually the situation died down and yesterday, with the White Sox in Boston for a series, Guillen professed his love for Jenks:
I love Bobby. I love his family. I love Cuma and I still remember his kids’ names. That means I haven’t forgot those people. Like I said, they were a great family and Bobby was good for us. Any regrets? I don’t see why. He don’t say anything bad. He said the manager sucked.
I don’t think he should regret what [he] said. To be honest with you. A lot of people, when they leave some companies or teams, obviously you feel hurt. They hurt your feelings. And you say what you have to say. But I look up his quotes, and I don’t think he hurt anybody.
Guillen lovingly called Jenks “a different kind of guy … a kid in a big bad body.”
For his part, Jenks spoke of how much he enjoyed playing in Chicago and called the spat with Guillen “water under the bridge” while adding “I regret it, absolutely.”
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with apparent side injury 1
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 2
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 3
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 7
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 30
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)