Jun 1, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Ozzie Guillen and Bobby Jenks had a nasty breakup, with mud being slung from both sides after Jenks signed with the Red Sox as a free agent and Guillen hinting at having some further bombs to lob should things escalate.
Eventually the situation died down and yesterday, with the White Sox in Boston for a series, Guillen professed his love for Jenks:
I love Bobby. I love his family. I love Cuma and I still remember his kids’ names. That means I haven’t forgot those people. Like I said, they were a great family and Bobby was good for us. Any regrets? I don’t see why. He don’t say anything bad. He said the manager sucked.
I don’t think he should regret what [he] said. To be honest with you. A lot of people, when they leave some companies or teams, obviously you feel hurt. They hurt your feelings. And you say what you have to say. But I look up his quotes, and I don’t think he hurt anybody.
Guillen lovingly called Jenks “a different kind of guy … a kid in a big bad body.”
For his part, Jenks spoke of how much he enjoyed playing in Chicago and called the spat with Guillen “water under the bridge” while adding “I regret it, absolutely.”
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)