Jun 1, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Ozzie Guillen and Bobby Jenks had a nasty breakup, with mud being slung from both sides after Jenks signed with the Red Sox as a free agent and Guillen hinting at having some further bombs to lob should things escalate.
Eventually the situation died down and yesterday, with the White Sox in Boston for a series, Guillen professed his love for Jenks:
I love Bobby. I love his family. I love Cuma and I still remember his kids’ names. That means I haven’t forgot those people. Like I said, they were a great family and Bobby was good for us. Any regrets? I don’t see why. He don’t say anything bad. He said the manager sucked.
I don’t think he should regret what [he] said. To be honest with you. A lot of people, when they leave some companies or teams, obviously you feel hurt. They hurt your feelings. And you say what you have to say. But I look up his quotes, and I don’t think he hurt anybody.
Guillen lovingly called Jenks “a different kind of guy … a kid in a big bad body.”
For his part, Jenks spoke of how much he enjoyed playing in Chicago and called the spat with Guillen “water under the bridge” while adding “I regret it, absolutely.”
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)