Jun 1, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Ozzie Guillen and Bobby Jenks had a nasty breakup, with mud being slung from both sides after Jenks signed with the Red Sox as a free agent and Guillen hinting at having some further bombs to lob should things escalate.
Eventually the situation died down and yesterday, with the White Sox in Boston for a series, Guillen professed his love for Jenks:
I love Bobby. I love his family. I love Cuma and I still remember his kids’ names. That means I haven’t forgot those people. Like I said, they were a great family and Bobby was good for us. Any regrets? I don’t see why. He don’t say anything bad. He said the manager sucked.
I don’t think he should regret what [he] said. To be honest with you. A lot of people, when they leave some companies or teams, obviously you feel hurt. They hurt your feelings. And you say what you have to say. But I look up his quotes, and I don’t think he hurt anybody.
Guillen lovingly called Jenks “a different kind of guy … a kid in a big bad body.”
For his part, Jenks spoke of how much he enjoyed playing in Chicago and called the spat with Guillen “water under the bridge” while adding “I regret it, absolutely.”
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 49
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)