Jun 1, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Ozzie Guillen and Bobby Jenks had a nasty breakup, with mud being slung from both sides after Jenks signed with the Red Sox as a free agent and Guillen hinting at having some further bombs to lob should things escalate.
Eventually the situation died down and yesterday, with the White Sox in Boston for a series, Guillen professed his love for Jenks:
I love Bobby. I love his family. I love Cuma and I still remember his kids’ names. That means I haven’t forgot those people. Like I said, they were a great family and Bobby was good for us. Any regrets? I don’t see why. He don’t say anything bad. He said the manager sucked.
I don’t think he should regret what [he] said. To be honest with you. A lot of people, when they leave some companies or teams, obviously you feel hurt. They hurt your feelings. And you say what you have to say. But I look up his quotes, and I don’t think he hurt anybody.
Guillen lovingly called Jenks “a different kind of guy … a kid in a big bad body.”
For his part, Jenks spoke of how much he enjoyed playing in Chicago and called the spat with Guillen “water under the bridge” while adding “I regret it, absolutely.”
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 4
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 21
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 129
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (130)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)