Stat of the day: Major League Baseball’s attendance problem is really the Dodgers’ attendance problem

Jun 1, 2011, 11:00 AM EST

Empty Dodger Stadium

A pretty stunning stat from Steve Dilbeck at the L.A. Times: Through Monday attendance in Major League Baseball is down 237,983 through the same number of games in 2010.  207,612 of that decline — a whopping 87% — is accounted for by the Los Angeles Dodgers alone.

Wow.

I said it in the last McCourt post, but I’ll say it again: doin’ a heckuva job there, Frankie.

1. deathmonkey41 - Jun 1, 2011 at 11:18 AM

We must rush to put an NFL franchise there. The fans there are unwavering in the dedication and support!

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Got news for you. The NFL wants to put a team in LA more than the fans in LA want to pay for a new stadium.

• seeingwhatsticks - Jun 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I’m no Dodger fan but the team has historically drawn very well, but the ownership mess, another mediocre team, and a declining stadium experience are driving people away.

• canofcorn66 - Jun 1, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Tom Tango, in a post from today:

“Since teams with an average record have historically drawn 25% more fans than teams with a bad record, and since teams with a good record have drawn 25% more fans than teams with an average record, I use those numbers as the adjustment….

We see by the way that this 25% shouldn’t really apply to the Dodgers. Dodger fans will support a team, much better than the average city. Their adjustment numbers historically are less than 10%.”

• dbrown23lak - Jun 1, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Hopefully the citizens of Los Angeles will not have such a bad owner that you have people that will not pay to go to a game. Some of my friends started last year, and I started this year. There just comes a time, when you can’t support a terrible owner.

There’s a book written by an L.A. radio personality that states the best fans in L.A. are Kings fans and it was the number one reason why they said the Kings will not win a cup, because a team that doesn’t make the playoffs should not sell as many tickets as they do. Well Dodger fans are listening to that advice and avoiding Dodger Staduim like the plague.

2. bjavie - Jun 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM

While having your childrens’ college education paid for is nice, it’s probably not overall worth it to go to Dodgers game.

• grizz2202 - Jun 1, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Bjavie, my only regret is that I have but one “thumbs up” to give.

• bjavie - Jun 1, 2011 at 12:08 PM

“Actually, there is no Hell. Although I hear Los Angeles is getting pretty close.” – Bob Diamond

3. dogsweat1 - Jun 1, 2011 at 11:45 AM

The Dodgers would sell out every game if they return to Brooklyn..

• jimbo1949 - Jun 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Ebbets Field, capacity 32k. 1949 attendance was 1.6M, largest ever.
      1950 to 1957 avg 1.1M+. Team got better, attendance decreased.

Not even the NYY sell out every game

4. kopy - Jun 1, 2011 at 11:51 AM

While the Dodgers probably have the biggest decline, the percentage seems misleading, since there are teams that have increases in attendance.

For example, the Mets are down roughly 99,000 in attendance, but it’s unfair to say that’s 42% of the total decline since the overall decline is much greater, but it’s been partially canceled out by teams with attendance gains (Giants, Rangers).

5. bloodysock - Jun 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM

The overall decrease (excluding the Dodgers) is not that bad considering the terrible weather than has been experienced over the first two months of the season.

6. yankeesgameday - Jun 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Not only are the Dodgers bad, but they are uninteresting and completely boring to watch. Traffic, changes at the stadium, ownership issues and not a single interesting player outside of Clayton Kershaw and I, who go out of my way to make sure I would see at least three or four games at Dodger Stadium every year, have literally zero interest in schlepping there right now. I’ve already turned down free tickets behind home plate once and politely declined an invite by some friends of friends to see a game in their company’s suite.

The Dodgers are in deep trouble and that attack was perhaps the final very public denouememt.

7. Lukehart80 - Jun 1, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I was watching the Dodgers last night on the MLB Network and was really surprised to see how few fans were there. I lived in Los Angeles for one baseball season and the games I attended were always pretty full. It would seem that a lot of people are fed up with the ownership mess and the mediocre baseball that is largely a result of that mess.

8. koufaxmitzvah - Jun 1, 2011 at 1:58 PM

LA bashers should come to the table when their team attracts over 3 million in attendance for 10 of 11 seasons.

And BTW, this is called a boycott. Now you know why Bud is seriously trying to clean up his Frankie baby mess.

As a Dodgers fan, I am enjoying this.

9. Brian Murphy - Jun 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I’ll be there tonight, so … yeah … +1.

10. elmaquino - Jun 1, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Hate to spam or something, but I put this up today about the Cards’ down attendance and baseball’s in general. Let me know what you think:

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 1, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Good article, but you’re up against the whim of the public. I would pick bad weather and soft schedule more than anyone else. And a little of Albert’s below par performance.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester