A-Rod’s PED-implicated cousin is still travelling with him on road trips

Jun 2, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT

AlexRodriguezAP

The Daily News reports today that Yuri Sucart, Alex Rodriguez‘s cousin, who was said to be A-Rod’s drug mule back when he was taking PEDs, is travelling with him on the Yankees’ current road trip.  They report that he’s made several trips with A-Rod in the past couple of years despite the fact that he is persona non grata as far as Major League Baseball is concerned.

The ban on Sucart extends only to team facilities, the clubhouse, etc., and he has not been seen in any of those places.  There is no ban on him being at the team’s hotel, where the Daily News spotted him. And hey, if your multi-millionaire cousin invited you to stay at the St. Regis in San Francisco, I’m guessing you’d go to.

But Major League Baseball is likely not happy with this. According to the Daily News, they’re watching it closely.  Personally, if I’m A-Rod, I just wait until November to take Sucart to the St. Regis and avoid all of this hassle. It’s cheaper then. Shoulder season, you know.

1. ThatGuy - Jun 2, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Headline could easily have said “A-Rods PED Implicated self is still traveling with his cousin on Road Trips”.

• pjmarn6 - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Rules don’t apply to me!

2. yankeesfanlen - Jun 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Leave ARod’s Cousin Alone!

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Listen, everybody has a bad-ass cousin, you know, the one you’re not supposed to hang with, but inevitably do. Smoke some stuff behind the barn and raid the beer fridge.
      I hate to meet A J Pierzynski’s cousin in a dark corner at the St. Regis-betcha he’s got tats and s$%t!

• Utley's Hair - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Jeez, Len. How far out does the security bubble go?

3. uyf1950 - Jun 2, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Who cares. A-Rod is in all likelihood one of the most tested MLB players and since MLB and the Players Union adopted their drug testing policy has NEVER tested positive. This is a non story.

• bobwsc - Jun 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM

doubt it. you think they want him to go the way of Manny Ramirez?

• rebarratige - Jun 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM

“A-Rod is in all likelihood one of the most tested MLB players”

[citation needed]

• davemmm - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Thats like saying that Lance has never tested positive so there is no way he ever could have doped………….

4. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 2, 2011 at 9:50 AM

i think whats being missed here is didnt a-rod tell this guy to go get him some ped’s? If so how does the blame fall on him? It doesnt, NEXT!

5. yankeesgameday - Jun 2, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I’ll restate something I said the other day in response to the awful quotes beat writers receive: too many baseball players just aren’t smart.

6. uyf1950 - Jun 2, 2011 at 10:06 AM

It seems to me that MLB (AKA: Bud Selig) want’s to act like “Mother Superior”. Just for reference that was the name of the Head Nun when I was just a “youngster” in Catholic School in NY. He want’s to get in every nook and cranny (that’s from the Thomas English Muffins commercials) of a baseball players life. MLB and the Players have agreed to a testing policy. Test the players and if a player test positive do what the agreement calls for but don’t act like the Almighty and go on “Witch Hunt’s or Fishing Expeditions”. That’s just my opinion and one I feel pretty strongly about.

7. bobwsc - Jun 2, 2011 at 10:22 AM

anyone that comes up dirty when they could be on HGH defines stupidity.

• belichickee - Jun 2, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Anyone who doesn’t realize that different PEDs do different things also defines stupidity.

8. deathmonkey41 - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Personally, I don’t think A-Rod is doing anything because the numbers don’t support it, but I often wonder if MLB would cover up if one of their star players tested positive for something. Before people start yelling, I’m not accusing anyone (ok, so I’ve accused Jose Bautisa before) but it would be terrible for MLB if someone like Bautisa or Pujols or Adrian Gonzalez or Big Papi tested positive. I think people already feel cheated by all the false accomplishments of the steroid era, so if it were still going on beneath their noses, I think it would result in a tremendous backlash by the fans. So, is it completely out of the realm of possibility that MLB cover up for one of it’s star players in it’s best interests? I don’t think so.

• cur68 - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Meh. Plenty of guys who’ve tested positive didn’t ‘do’ anything performance-wise. Look at Ramirez; when he was last caught he was doing sh!t.

PEDS do not automatically = Performance, believe it or not. Talent, hard work, determination, coaching and opportunity = performance. All PEDS do for you is help you hit it further due to more muscle mass (depending on what you take).

The effects are probably more psychological; A talented person (like say ARod) with known yip-like issues, has his thinking affected because he knows he’s on the juice. So it’s something like “I took horse roids now I’m a baseball horse so now I can clobber a ball 550 feet – wheee! there it goes! Those roids are working!” Never underestimate the positive feeling when it comes to success. Fact is ARod probably is no longer on the roids but he can STILL crush it. A part of why he doesn’t do it as often has to do with injury and age but it’s also likely due to a mental state he’s no longer in IMO. He lacks the confidence he used to have because he knows its all up to him, no enhancements.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM

True, but maybe without steroids, Manny Ramirez is out of the game 5 or so years earlier. Maybe he’s just an very good player instead of a potential Hall of Famer. I have to say, when A-Rod and Pettite admitted using, I was taken aback. It just brings doubt into your mind about what is real and what’s not. How many of those HRs that Bonds hit would have just been deep fly balls without the juice? Now, I’m glad A-Rod and Pettite owned up to it- unlike Big Papi who tried to blame milkshakes he drank in the DR 15 yrs earlier- but it still sucked.

9. deathmonkey41 - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:46 AM

And just to elaborate more- I think most fans look up to Pujols as a guy, who has done it the right way in a world full of cheaters. I think him testing positive would be more devastating to the game than anyone else at this point. I think Bautista would be close because it’s such a “feel good” story, but I think fans would just feel so let down.

• cur68 - Jun 2, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Yeah; I for 1 would just crawl into a hole if JB was found to be using. I place him firmly in the “Talent, hard work, determination, coaching and opportunity = performance” crowd. He always had the 1st 3 of the formula and in the last 3 years has finally had the last 2. But PEDS? I don’t think any of these guys need them.

Bonds certainly didn’t; a HR is a HR no matter if its in the seats or in McCovey’s Cove; but that’s what PEDS did for him. He could reach the water more often with those shots. Hell it’s only ~ 310 to the seats in right at Pac Bell (or whatever they’re calling it these days) if you go right down the line. An easy ~420 foot shot clears the seats in center & right. These are not moon shots. JB hits them that far in left at Roger’s.

• mrznyc - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Bonds had Jim Rice numbers before PEDs – borderline HOF – Then PEDs

• kopy - Jun 2, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t think MLB would take that risk. Having a star player test positive for PEDs is a lot less damaging to the league then the fans finding out from a scorned former employee that a star player tested positive for PEDs 10 years ago, but MLB covered it up for him.

• kopy - Jun 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM

*than, while we’re on the ever-so-grammatically correct HBT!

10. tuftsb - Jun 2, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Headline: “Frank McCourt and Fred Wilpon Still Attend Owner’s Meetings”

• Kevin S. - Jun 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Why is HBT only letting me click the little thumb once?

11. electstat - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:13 PM

‘Personally, if I’m A-Rod, I just wait until November to take Sucart to the St. Regis and avoid all of this hassle.”

Personally, if I’m A-Rod, I don’t really care about a blog.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 2, 2011 at 8:51 PM

But he might read this blog while rolling around in mountains of money on a bed that’s probably bigger than most of our houses. It could hurt his feelings.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2891)