Jun 2, 2011, 1:26 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Angels received a scare on Wednesday night when their charter flight was diverted to Los Angeles International Airport for an emergency landing, the Associated Press reported.
There were at least 60 people aboard the flight, which was returning from Kansas City, where the Angels wrapped up a 6-game road trip with a 2-0 loss to the Royals.
The Angels usually travel through John Wayne airport in Orange County, but were redirected to LAX after the pilot reported the plane having possible hydraulic problems. Fire engines were lined up along the runway, according to the Los Angeles Times, but were not needed as the plane landed without incident.
At 8:57 p.m. L.A. time, Angels broadcaster Victor Rojas tweeted the news:
“Nothing like an emergency landing at LAX to scare the crap out of us…good to be home.”
And at 9:03 p.m. Rojas provided more details:
“Believe it had something to do w hydraulic system & the possibility of having issues coming to a stop…safe landing. Great job by crew.”
Luckily everyone was safe, and were returned to Anaheim via bus, according to Tim Brown of Yahoo!
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)