Jun 2, 2011, 1:26 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Angels received a scare on Wednesday night when their charter flight was diverted to Los Angeles International Airport for an emergency landing, the Associated Press reported.
There were at least 60 people aboard the flight, which was returning from Kansas City, where the Angels wrapped up a 6-game road trip with a 2-0 loss to the Royals.
The Angels usually travel through John Wayne airport in Orange County, but were redirected to LAX after the pilot reported the plane having possible hydraulic problems. Fire engines were lined up along the runway, according to the Los Angeles Times, but were not needed as the plane landed without incident.
At 8:57 p.m. L.A. time, Angels broadcaster Victor Rojas tweeted the news:
“Nothing like an emergency landing at LAX to scare the crap out of us…good to be home.”
And at 9:03 p.m. Rojas provided more details:
“Believe it had something to do w hydraulic system & the possibility of having issues coming to a stop…safe landing. Great job by crew.”
Luckily everyone was safe, and were returned to Anaheim via bus, according to Tim Brown of Yahoo!
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)