Jun 2, 2011, 8:52 PM EDT
Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram passes along word that veteran right-hander Brandon Webb had to be pulled off his minor league rehab assignment Thursday after renewed inflammation was discovered in his rotator cuff.
Webb surrendred five earned runs on eight hits during a 3 1/3-inning rehab start on Monday afternoon at Double-A Frisco. It was his first appearance in a professional game since the first week of the 2009 regular season.
The 32-year-old has been prescribed anti-inflammatories and will continue playing catch on a near-daily basis, but he won’t be allowed to resume his minor league rehab assignment for another seven days per Major League Baseball policy.
With his shoulder still nagging and his fastball velocity still residing somewhere between 81 and 84 MPH, it’s probably safe to wonder at this point whether we’ll ever see Webb take another major league mound.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)