Jun 2, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Darin Erstad, who played baseball and football at the University of Nebraska before the Angels made him the No. 1 overall pick in the 1995 draft, will soon be named the Cornhuskers’ new head baseball coach, according to Aaron Fitt of Baseball America.
Erstad is just 36 years old and only two years removed from playing in the majors, but has been serving as Nebraska’s hitting coach since mid-2010 and donated $1 million to the Memorial Stadium renovation in 2004.
Fitt calls it an “intriguing hire.”
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 14
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54