Jun 2, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Darin Erstad, who played baseball and football at the University of Nebraska before the Angels made him the No. 1 overall pick in the 1995 draft, will soon be named the Cornhuskers’ new head baseball coach, according to Aaron Fitt of Baseball America.
Erstad is just 36 years old and only two years removed from playing in the majors, but has been serving as Nebraska’s hitting coach since mid-2010 and donated $1 million to the Memorial Stadium renovation in 2004.
Fitt calls it an “intriguing hire.”
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 43
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17