Everything you ever wanted to know about the weather at Petco Park but were afraid to ask

Jun 2, 2011, 1:35 PM EDT

Petco Park

I’m not a weather geek, buy my old man worked for the National Weather Service for 40 years, so I can speak their language.  And I’ve only been to San Diego a couple of times, but my brother lives there, so I can speak that language a little bit too.  So, of course, when there is a story that combines baseball, weather and San Diego, I’m gonna link it. It’s all about that “marine layer” those people out there go on about and how it impacts offense at Petco Park.

The afternoon/evening differences are something I’ve seen first hand. The last time I went to Petco there was a minor league game there — Lake Elsinore vs. I have no idea — and the ball was flying out of that place.  A couple hours later the darkness fell, the marine layer rolled in and the Padres and Blue Jays couldn’t get anything to carry at all.  And it wasn’t for a lack of square contact. Stuff just got knocked the hell down.

It’s a neat place to watch a baseball game for a lot of reasons, but the weather dynamics, such as they are, are one of the cooler reasons. At least if you’re a faux-weather/baseball/San Diego geek.

1. jamie54 - Jun 2, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Yes, Craig, huge article today very interesting in that at one point visitor’s up in the first inning, no marine layer, then by the time the home team bats, here it comes. Fans are getting bored watching 3-2, 2-1 games and have been getting on the old move the right field fence in again, or, better yet, sort of a reverse humidor for balls. Best would be, field a team that wins. Last year, 45-36 both home and road. This year 9-20 at home. Not the park, players in it.

• Ralph - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    • Ralph - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:15 PM

• jamie54 - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Well, that’s a nice little drawing…..for a three year old. Don’t like it Ralphie boy, bring it on since you are evidently so smart.

2. APBA Guy - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I agree, it’s mainly about the team. The macro view is that San Diego is a fabulous city, and the weather is gorgeous. The ballpark is very good, not PNC or AT&T but way better than average, and it’s well situated. Lots of visitors, plenty of good restaurants, and relatively safe (It is the home of the SEALs, after all. You want to mess with those guys?).

And in a pitchers’ park, you start with good pitching and a high on-base team. Then add a few high contact RBI guys (wait, Adrian Gonzalez anyone) and you can draw good crowds and the HR thing is less of an issue.

3. jwbiii - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I thought the “Marine Layer” had to do with jarheads hogging all the barstools. Learn something every day.

4. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM

San Diego has some of the most beautiful weather on the planet. I wouldnt care if all the Padres games ended at 1-0 i would trade places with anyone in San Diego in an instant. Anyone out there want to swap? I will through in a free house in Fargo, ND along with all the crappy weather you can stand, and that doesnt include winter!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3158)