Jun 2, 2011, 1:35 PM EST
I’m not a weather geek, buy my old man worked for the National Weather Service for 40 years, so I can speak their language. And I’ve only been to San Diego a couple of times, but my brother lives there, so I can speak that language a little bit too. So, of course, when there is a story that combines baseball, weather and San Diego, I’m gonna link it. It’s all about that “marine layer” those people out there go on about and how it impacts offense at Petco Park.
The afternoon/evening differences are something I’ve seen first hand. The last time I went to Petco there was a minor league game there — Lake Elsinore vs. I have no idea — and the ball was flying out of that place. A couple hours later the darkness fell, the marine layer rolled in and the Padres and Blue Jays couldn’t get anything to carry at all. And it wasn’t for a lack of square contact. Stuff just got knocked the hell down.
It’s a neat place to watch a baseball game for a lot of reasons, but the weather dynamics, such as they are, are one of the cooler reasons. At least if you’re a faux-weather/baseball/San Diego geek.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (116)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)