Giants GM: If Scott Cousins “never plays another game in the big leagues, I think we’ll all be happy…”
Jun 2, 2011, 8:19 PM EDT
The Giants are still plenty upset about the late-May collision at home plate that caused an early end to catcher Buster Posey‘s 2011 season.
Earlier this week, Giants manager Bruce Bochy reached out to Joe Torre, who now serves as Major League Baseball’s vice president of baseball operations, and lobbied for a rule change.
Now Giants general manager Brian Sabean is targeting Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins, who inflicted the damage on Posey last Tuesday.
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, Sabean told Ralph Barbieri and Tom Tolbert on the San Francisco-based KNBR this afternoon that Cousins was “malicious” in launching himself at Posey. And it gets much harsher:
“If I never hear from Cousins again or he never plays another game in the big leagues, I think we’ll all be happy. He chose to be a hero in my mind, and if that’s his flash of fame, that’s as good as it’s going to get, pal. We’ll have a long memory. Believe me, we’ve talked to (Mike) Matheny about how this game works. You can’t be that out-and-out overly aggressive. I’ll put it as politically as I can state it: There’s no love lost and there shouldn’t be.”
It’s fine for Sabean to be upset about the situation and to defend one of his young stars, but calling out a player on another team and rooting for that player to have a short career is certainly crossing the line.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with apparent side injury 1
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 2
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 3
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 7
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 30
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)