Giants GM: If Scott Cousins “never plays another game in the big leagues, I think we’ll all be happy…”
Jun 2, 2011, 8:19 PM EDT
The Giants are still plenty upset about the late-May collision at home plate that caused an early end to catcher Buster Posey‘s 2011 season.
Earlier this week, Giants manager Bruce Bochy reached out to Joe Torre, who now serves as Major League Baseball’s vice president of baseball operations, and lobbied for a rule change.
Now Giants general manager Brian Sabean is targeting Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins, who inflicted the damage on Posey last Tuesday.
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, Sabean told Ralph Barbieri and Tom Tolbert on the San Francisco-based KNBR this afternoon that Cousins was “malicious” in launching himself at Posey. And it gets much harsher:
“If I never hear from Cousins again or he never plays another game in the big leagues, I think we’ll all be happy. He chose to be a hero in my mind, and if that’s his flash of fame, that’s as good as it’s going to get, pal. We’ll have a long memory. Believe me, we’ve talked to (Mike) Matheny about how this game works. You can’t be that out-and-out overly aggressive. I’ll put it as politically as I can state it: There’s no love lost and there shouldn’t be.”
It’s fine for Sabean to be upset about the situation and to defend one of his young stars, but calling out a player on another team and rooting for that player to have a short career is certainly crossing the line.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)