Giants GM: If Scott Cousins “never plays another game in the big leagues, I think we’ll all be happy…”
Jun 2, 2011, 8:19 PM EDT
The Giants are still plenty upset about the late-May collision at home plate that caused an early end to catcher Buster Posey‘s 2011 season.
Earlier this week, Giants manager Bruce Bochy reached out to Joe Torre, who now serves as Major League Baseball’s vice president of baseball operations, and lobbied for a rule change.
Now Giants general manager Brian Sabean is targeting Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins, who inflicted the damage on Posey last Tuesday.
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, Sabean told Ralph Barbieri and Tom Tolbert on the San Francisco-based KNBR this afternoon that Cousins was “malicious” in launching himself at Posey. And it gets much harsher:
“If I never hear from Cousins again or he never plays another game in the big leagues, I think we’ll all be happy. He chose to be a hero in my mind, and if that’s his flash of fame, that’s as good as it’s going to get, pal. We’ll have a long memory. Believe me, we’ve talked to (Mike) Matheny about how this game works. You can’t be that out-and-out overly aggressive. I’ll put it as politically as I can state it: There’s no love lost and there shouldn’t be.”
It’s fine for Sabean to be upset about the situation and to defend one of his young stars, but calling out a player on another team and rooting for that player to have a short career is certainly crossing the line.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?