Jun 2, 2011, 12:06 AM EDT
A bank of lights suddenly shut off at 10:59 p.m. central time this evening on the roof of Busch Stadium, right along the first base line. The Cardinals are playing host to the Giants in Game 3 of a four-game set. It’s being televised by ESPN.
The contest is currently in a delay while maintenance attempts to get the lights, which shine on the area around home plate, back up and running.
Giants closer Brian Wilson is trying to close out a San Francisco victory. It’s the bottom of the 11th inning and the Cardinals are down to their last out with a 7-5 deficit. But they do have a runner on first base and have managed two hits against Wilson, who has now been idle for several minutes.
Cardinals utilityman Allen Craig is at the plate. He hit a two-run homer earlier in the game.
UPDATE: The lights came back on at 11:13 p.m. CT, after a 14-minute delay. Wilson headed to the mound and forced a first-pitch groundout from Craig as the Giants won in extras. That’s sure to make the conspiracy theories less fun. La Russa pulled the plug, trying to throw off Wilson’s rhythm! … And all that.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)