Jun 2, 2011, 12:06 AM EDT
A bank of lights suddenly shut off at 10:59 p.m. central time this evening on the roof of Busch Stadium, right along the first base line. The Cardinals are playing host to the Giants in Game 3 of a four-game set. It’s being televised by ESPN.
The contest is currently in a delay while maintenance attempts to get the lights, which shine on the area around home plate, back up and running.
Giants closer Brian Wilson is trying to close out a San Francisco victory. It’s the bottom of the 11th inning and the Cardinals are down to their last out with a 7-5 deficit. But they do have a runner on first base and have managed two hits against Wilson, who has now been idle for several minutes.
Cardinals utilityman Allen Craig is at the plate. He hit a two-run homer earlier in the game.
UPDATE: The lights came back on at 11:13 p.m. CT, after a 14-minute delay. Wilson headed to the mound and forced a first-pitch groundout from Craig as the Giants won in extras. That’s sure to make the conspiracy theories less fun. La Russa pulled the plug, trying to throw off Wilson’s rhythm! … And all that.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 10
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 26
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)