Jun 2, 2011, 12:06 AM EST
A bank of lights suddenly shut off at 10:59 p.m. central time this evening on the roof of Busch Stadium, right along the first base line. The Cardinals are playing host to the Giants in Game 3 of a four-game set. It’s being televised by ESPN.
The contest is currently in a delay while maintenance attempts to get the lights, which shine on the area around home plate, back up and running.
Giants closer Brian Wilson is trying to close out a San Francisco victory. It’s the bottom of the 11th inning and the Cardinals are down to their last out with a 7-5 deficit. But they do have a runner on first base and have managed two hits against Wilson, who has now been idle for several minutes.
Cardinals utilityman Allen Craig is at the plate. He hit a two-run homer earlier in the game.
UPDATE: The lights came back on at 11:13 p.m. CT, after a 14-minute delay. Wilson headed to the mound and forced a first-pitch groundout from Craig as the Giants won in extras. That’s sure to make the conspiracy theories less fun. La Russa pulled the plug, trying to throw off Wilson’s rhythm! … And all that.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)