Jun 2, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
I didn’t watch the Stanley Cup Final, but people tell me I should have because it would have turned me into a hockey fan. I dunno. I enjoy going to a game now and again, but the hockey ship sailed for me years ago and there’s probably no hope for me now. But I was told that it was exciting, so this is one of the rare instances in which you are excused if you didn’t pay attention to baseball last night. For those of you in that boat, here’s what you missed:
- If the season ended today, well, we’d be quite surprised and season ticket holders would feel ripped off. But at least we’d know who the rookie of the year was.
- Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Andrew Bailey!
- Meanwhile, Aroldis Chapman still has some work to be done. There’s a magnetic field down on the forest moon below him providing him protection, however. But don’t worry; the facility housing the shield generator is being guarded by a few dozen elite troops who can’t be defeated by a handful of teddy bears or anything.
- Chan Ho Park is not having a good go of it in Japan.
- The Diamondbacks and Royals made a trade.
- Jim Thome strained a quad.
- Daisuke Matsuzaka is going to have Tommy John surgery. Recovery usually takes 12-14 months. Dice-K will probably take 18 because that’s just how he rolls.
- That’s the night that the lights went out in St. Louis. That’s the night that they hung an innocent man. Don’t trust your soul to no backwoods southern lawyer. Cause the judge in the town’s got bloodstains on his hands.
- The Angels’ plane makes an emergency landing. Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak ’em… leg ‘er down a smack ’em yak ’em!
Now, let us begin our day, shall we?
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 0
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 9
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 9
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 77
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)