Jun 2, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
Joe Mauer caught three innings in an extended spring training game this afternoon, getting back behind the plate for the first time since being shut down in mid-April due to leg problems stemming from his offseason knee surgery.
Mauer went 0-for-5 at the plate, but afterward told David Dorsey of the Fort Myers News-Press that he “felt good” but “just a little fatigued” and reiterated that he has no plans to switch positions.
In the same game rehabbing infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka played nine innings at shortstop and went 0-for-3 with a walk at the plate.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)