Jun 2, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
Joe Mauer caught three innings in an extended spring training game this afternoon, getting back behind the plate for the first time since being shut down in mid-April due to leg problems stemming from his offseason knee surgery.
Mauer went 0-for-5 at the plate, but afterward told David Dorsey of the Fort Myers News-Press that he “felt good” but “just a little fatigued” and reiterated that he has no plans to switch positions.
In the same game rehabbing infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka played nine innings at shortstop and went 0-for-3 with a walk at the plate.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17