Ken Rosenthal: “the Mets damn sure should keep Jose Reyes and David Wright”

Jun 2, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT

MLB:  AUG 09 Braves v Mets

Should the Mets let Jose Reyes walk? Should they trade him at the deadline? Or should they just go in the other direction and keep Reyes and try to unload David Wright? Such a hard set of decisions!

Or maybe not, because after reading Ken Rosenthal’s latest, I’m having a hard time disagreeing with him: the Mets should try hard to sign Reyes and keep Wright.

The logic is pretty simple: Reyes is better than any shortstop that Mets are going to be able to replace him with and, assuming Fred Wilpon doesn’t go with a super austerity plan, he can be had.  Meanwhile, after figuring out which teams would be interested in acquiring David Wright, Rosenthal makes a pretty reasonable statement: “The entire discussion is ridiculous. If so many teams could use Wright, then maybe, just maybe, the Mets could use him, too.”

If Fred Wilpon declares a fire sale, sure, all bets are off.  But Rosenthal is right: if the Mets are merely going to bring payroll down to the $100-120 million range, it’s totally possible for them to keep both Reyes and Wright and makes a great deal of baseball sense to do so.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Reyes and Wright for Rollins, Blanton, and Pete Orr….to even things out we will even pay for Blanton’s donut allotment.

• JBerardi - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Yeah, the Mets are really looking to get older at shortstop. That makes all kinds of sense.

• irishjackmp - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Uh, this is the team that gave Oliver Perez 12m a year.

Exactly what about Fred Wilpon’s tenuse as owner leads you to believe “sense” plays any part in the decision making of the Mets hierarchy???

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Obviously it was a joke Captain Serious. I thought maybe the comment about Blanton’s donut allotment gave that away.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:57 PM

“Captain Serious”…I like that, and it is especially fitting for JB.

• kellyb9 - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:58 PM

And here I was thinking about pullin the trigger on it. If the donut allotment isn’t in, no deal!

• JBerardi - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Obviously, it wasn’t obvious.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:00 PM

It was to those of us with a clue and who aren’t wrapped a little bit too tight, JB.

• JBerardi - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM

It seems I may have struck some sort of nerve with Mr. Fiorentino. It wasn’t easy, what with him being so easygoing and not uptight at all.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I know KellyB9…the donut allotment is the clincher. I mean, have you seen Blanton? Imagine now that he hasn’t been doing anything for a few weeks; a shutter at the notion. There was this stat lady on here the other day who analyzed all types of crazy baseball data. She casually mentioned that one of her analysis’ was on the Body Mass Index of players. I forgot to ask where Blanton fit on that list.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Yeah, I’m uptight…LOL. Dude, if you stuck a piece of coal up your ass, you could pull out a diamond within 2 hours. Only a putz would think that was a serious posting.

• JBerardi - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Ok guys. It’s super obvious and hilarious. That’s why people are thumbs-upping it like crazy right now…

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I don’t post comments with the objective of getting as many thumbs ups as possible. Anyway, whether it was funny or not is a matter of debate, however, it is ridiculously obvious. I mean, who would include a doughnut allotment in a trade? Even if I didn’t say that, who would suggest that the Mets two best players be traded for a decent player and two scrubs? Fiorentino is right about this; if it wasn’t obviously a joke to you, then you are wound too tight.

• JBerardi - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Easy there, captain serious. I’m obviously just joking around.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I see what you did there. I like it. Fair play.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 2, 2011 at 4:24 PM

“I mean, who would include a doughnut allotment in a trade?”

Joe Blanton would. Or a whole roasted turkey allotment. Either would do.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I demand you all stop being corporate whores and spell “doughnut” the only way it is actually spelled. RBI whore is okay, corporate whore is not.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Go eat a piece of pie.

• JBerardi - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Uhhg. It’s a Massachusetts thing, dude. I don’t WANT to do it, but this place is basically the Matrix except instead of those weird red jelly pods, they keep you in an extra large Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee w/ cream and two sugars.

Shit is ingrained, is what I’m trying to say.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Oh, I’ll eat the pie alright….(did that sound dirty enough?) I’m just rabble-rousing, as many of you know, it’s my thing.

• cur68 - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I don’t want to take sides JB but I think you booted that one a bit. It was definitely meant with humorous intent. Whatever though. It’s not worth arguing about this much. Let us not carry on at the level of our friend ‘bicepts gentlemen. We have more high minded things to discuss like if El Bravo should eat pie, and thus diminish himself or if the cure is cake and if so can a Wilpon be cured with cake. I say no, but then I’m biased against all things Wilponian.

• JBerardi - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:54 PM

It’s not worth arguing, but it’s so hard to resist the urge to rile Fiorentino up…

2. yankeesfanlen - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Of course keeping them both is the RIGHT thing to do, but given this is the Metropolitans, can that be the thing they WILL do?
    Wait, who is this new sheriff in town?

3. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:43 PM

The Mutts are too far away from contending to keep around both of these guys. They need young studs, and if Wright can bring you 2 or 3 of them, you take that deal in a heartbeat. I agree that you can’t just let Reyes walk away, but who says Reyes will take the 5 year $95 million deal Rosenthal throws out there like it is a lock Jose will accept that from the perennial losing Mutts?

• kellyb9 - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:00 PM

I’ve always disagreed with trading a known quantity for an unknown one. You can take 10 can’t miss minor leaguers and only get one potential all-star. If the idea is to cut the budget on payroll and alienate your fanbase, then it makes sense. Otherwise, I would try my best (within reason) to keep both of them.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:03 PM

If they had a lot of prospects coming up and the days looked brighter ahead, then maybe you keep a guy like Wright. However, I think they aren’t going to be able to keep Reyes, unless they offer Crawford money, which they won’t. What’s the sense of losing Reyes and keeping Wright, unless you think you will lose more of your already horrible attendance. If they can keep them both, then yeah, I think it might be OK. But since I think they won’t be keeping Reyes, I would just dump them both and start fresh.

Now if they could only find a taker for the albatross that is Johan Santana. Hard to believe this guy is completely forgotten.

4. cur68 - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Bet neither of these guys want to play on a loser any more. If I had to guess then both guys go to the Yankees. They are a natural fit there; used to the New York media glare, both teams need help at their respective positions and with the short porches could anyone stop the 2 headed monster that is GrandersonWright?

That happens, you can forget about the Al East for the next 3 years. It’s the Yankees; all others will be playing for wild card. Given their clout, the Yankees can make this happen, providing Reyes and Wright wanna go to a winner for more dough. Like duh; winning.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Now see, if I had said that……….
      Can Wright do something besides 3rd, because, you know, we kind of leave that alone.

• JBerardi - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Yeah, he can play first. The Yankees don’t have anyone there, do they?

• JBerardi - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Yeah I’m sure Captain Jeter will slide right over to… where, exactly? Also, no he won’t.

• cur68 - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Next season boys, things will have a whole different complexion. Posada will be gone for certain. Need a DH? Howdy Tex or hola ARod. Of course Wright could also DH or just rotate those guys. As for SS…well, this is the Yankees and they are The Universe. Even guys named Derek Sanderson Jeter will have to give way to a better shortstop. See also rotating DH.

I know. It be a crime to speak less than glowingly of Jeets but us Jays fans don’t care. We in Canuckistan and can say what we like and not even Jack Bauer can…someone’s at the door, dog not barking…it’s too quiet…

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 2, 2011 at 4:26 PM

cur- It’s me and Harley, and we have Beep-beep in the trunk to drop off to your local Moose pound.

• cur68 - Jun 2, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Uh, you got, uh… Minka with you? ‘Cause, if so, could uh, you like, you know, leave here…here? Like, with me? Jeets you can drop off in the slew. That’s where we keeps our moose.

5. JBerardi - Jun 2, 2011 at 2:57 PM

I don’t get this. A lot of teams wanted, say, Mark Teixeria when Texas had him. How’d that work out for the Rangers? A lot of teams wanting him means that the Mets could get a really good package of young talent for him. I mean, maybe not, and the Mets shouldn’t feel like they HAVE to trade him if they can’t get the players they want in return, but they’d be fools not to shop the guy.

• jwbiii - Jun 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM

July 31, 2007: Traded by the Texas Rangers with Ron Mahay to the Atlanta Braves for Beau Jones (minors), Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Not bad for the Rangers. A starting SS, a rookie of the year closer, a decent reliever, a backup catcher (later traded for three low level prospects), and a minor league reliever with control issues.

July 29, 2008: Traded by the Atlanta Braves to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for Steve Marek (minors) and Casey Kotchman.

Not so good for the Braves.

The Angels turned the pick from the Yankees into Mike Trout. I think the supplemental pick was Tyler Kehrer. Looks good but nothing in Anaheim yet.

6. Paul Zummo - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Ken Rosenthal wrote a non-idiotic column? That is just crazy. But for once, I totally agree with him. The odds of replacing either one with prospects that will ever match their value are less than 50/50, if that. Furthermore, both guys are under 30. So unlike Carlos Beltran at this point, they should be productive throughout most of the length of any new contracts, even if we’re talking 6-7 years.

• hep3 - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM

“Ken Rosenthal wrote a non-idiotic column? That is just crazy.”

Perfect!

7. paperlions - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:07 PM

If a lot of teams could use Wright or Reyes (and they can), with the ownership situation and with the crap Wilpon said in the recent article about them, why wouldn’t they just decide to move on? Sometimes, it is just time for a change…even if the Mets wanted to keep them and tried to keep them, I can’t think of any reason for either to stay, even if the Mets are the high bidder, the bids will be so high that the difference won’t really matter as much as getting a fresh start.

8. kopy - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:11 PM

The only reason the Mets should willingly become less talented on the left side of the infield is if they can’t afford to keep them, and if they can’t afford to keep them, the team needs to be sold.

9. jeffro33 - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Everyone – take a deep breath, and laugh out loud with me at the New York Mets… I think we can all agree that it does not matter what they do, as they are years and 1-2 roster overhauls away from being a serious contender.

How sad is it when every team in the NL East, Nats included, are closer that the Mets at being a legit playoff contender.

This, coupled with the financial disarray makes for a really ugly mess in Flushing. Feel free to laugh again with the deal they are paying Bobby Bo on for the next 25 years…. Nice pension.

And hey, nice new stadium (but not really….)

• Paul Zummo - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

as they are years and 1-2 roster overhauls away from being a serious contender.

Ummm, no. They are not the Houston Astros, an organization bereft of talent at both the Major and Minor League levels. They have a middling farm system where most of the talent is at at the A or AA levels, but it’s not as barren as a good number of teams. They have several excellent players like Davis, Reyes, and Wright who are still young and who are either at their peak or haven’t even reached it.

10. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM

A team like the Mets should shop the hell out of these guys, and really anyone else on their roster. If they are blown away by an offer they should take it. If they get mediocre offers they should be smart and walk away. If Boston decides to offer up Clay Bucholz for Reyes, of course the Mets should jump on it.

The real kicker is that we don’t know what the new CBA will say about free agency/draft pick compensation. The Mets might watch Reyes walk ni the off-season and get no draft picks out of it. That would be disastrous.

In all seriousness though, if I was Reyes, or any free agent with a history of health issues, I would run far and fast from the Mets. Their medical team seems like the worst in baseball (see Santana, Wright, Davis, Bay, Reyes, Beltran, , Delgado, etc etc). It is not that the guys get injured. That happens everywhere. It is the misdiagnoses, the way ‘day-to-day’ becomes ‘out-for-the-season’ without much explanation. Maybe a different training staff could help Reyes stay healthy, on the field and focused.

11. sdelmonte - Jun 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I would love to keep both. Even if Wright is not a superstar, he is a steady and strong presence at third and he seems to be getting the hang of Citi (though he’ll never put up big HR numbers again). And Reyes has turned back into one of the most versatile players around.

But will Alderson consider giving Reyes the sort of contract he wants? Even if the Mets have the cash for Jose, the Alderson philosophy dictates less years and less money than Reyes can get elsewhere. And I don’t see Jose taking a hometown discount. Better, I am afraid, to see if he’s tradeable. But given the limited market for rental shortstops, I bet he spends the whole season in NY.

12. Jonny 5 - Jun 2, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Does it really matter what they do? Really? Whatever choice is made, will be run out by the local media as another mistake by this franchise. NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO. Because they still won’t be able to top a few teams in their division any time soon.

• bennyblanco1 - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:21 AM

I dont know Jonny. Things change quickly in this league. If there able to keep Wright, Reyes and Davis as the core and focus on pitcing, whose to say they can win 90 games in 2013?

I think the Marlins will be putting a better team on the field in 2013 then the Phils.

13. Dan in Katonah - Jun 2, 2011 at 5:47 PM

If I had to speculate, Reyes, Beltran and K-Rod get moved. First 2 are performing great and at max trade value right now and K-Rod is doing well and said he would waive the vesting option. Wright is recovering from a back fracture and I suspect would not yield the return necessary to offset the fan-firestorm that would follow his departure. Plus he still has 2 years left.

14. uuddlrlrbastart - Jun 2, 2011 at 7:32 PM

I’m of the opinion that the best way to build a contending team is to keep your good players and get rid of your bad players. So I’m on board with keeping Wright and Reyes. And they finally have a front office that seems to understand that. I realize that if they’re offered 3 top prospects for either of them they should probably do that. But teams seem more reluctant to trade prospects, unless it’s for established pitching.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3686)