Jun 2, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
From the Wall Street Journal: How I learned to stop worrying and love John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman:
… for sheer radio listening pleasure for the casual fan, I don’t think anybody beats the Sterling-Waldman duo. Their style is conversational rather than testosterone-crazed; it’s almost overheard, as if you were eavesdropping on their tête-à-tête from the next table at Sardi’s. And they know their stuff …
I don’t listen to many Yankees radio broadcasts. I listen to some — MLB.tv gives you the option and I often find that listening to a game is easier to do while writing than watching a game is — but not a ton. I’ll say that Sterling and Waldman are not as bad as many make them out to be simply because no one could be as bad as Sterling and Waldman are made out to be. But they’re not my first choice. Probably not in my first 20 choices, because they constantly make you aware that you’re listening to Sterling and Waldman. They at least have the “not boring” part down, and that’s something.
Radio is a tough balance that way. How not to be boring without being distracting. Not many do it well. The fact that even Sterling and Waldman have their fans is probably evidence that no one has totally figured it out yet, even 90 years after they started broadcasting baseball games.
Well, Harwell figured it out. And Scully. But not too many.
(thanks to Yankeesfanlen for the heads up)
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (70)