Jun 2, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
“Kung Fu Panda” is going to begin a minor league rehab assignment on Friday with Single-A San Jose. He will play two games there before moving along to Triple-A Fresno for another three to five games.
If all goes well, Sandoval could make his way back to the Giants’ starting lineup by next weekend.
The 24-year-old was batting .313/.374/.530 with 14 RBI through his first 91 plate appearances this season. With a healthier self and a completely revamped fitness plan, he should have no trouble getting back on track.
Giants starter Barry Zito is also ready to begin a rehab assignment. He’ll start Monday at Single-A San Jose.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59