Jun 2, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
“Kung Fu Panda” is going to begin a minor league rehab assignment on Friday with Single-A San Jose. He will play two games there before moving along to Triple-A Fresno for another three to five games.
If all goes well, Sandoval could make his way back to the Giants’ starting lineup by next weekend.
The 24-year-old was batting .313/.374/.530 with 14 RBI through his first 91 plate appearances this season. With a healthier self and a completely revamped fitness plan, he should have no trouble getting back on track.
Giants starter Barry Zito is also ready to begin a rehab assignment. He’ll start Monday at Single-A San Jose.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 13
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 24
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)