Scott Cousins’ agent responds to Brian Sabean’s comments, says client has been getting death threats
Jun 2, 2011, 10:23 PM EST
Matt Sosnick, the agent for Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins, has responded to the harsh comments that Giants GM Brian Sabean made about his client Thursday afternoon on a San Francisco radio station.
Sosnick also claims that Cousins has tried to apologize directly to Posey on several occasions but has been denied access to the young star catcher.
“What Cousins did was not malicious,” Sosnick said. “A statement that anyone makes implying that he did something on purpose to be hurtful or malicious to Posey is untrue. Those people are misinformed. You can’t determine on a replay if there was a sliding lane for him to get into. It’s impossible.”
“I’d say Brian’s opinion is in the vast minority in baseball. I can understand the disappointment that Posey is out. I’m disappointed. My family is disappointed and I don’t even represent him. I can just tell you that if you know Scott Cousins, you know it was certainly not intentional.”
The Giants and Marlins meet up again in early August for a three-game series. If Cousins is still on Florida’s active roster — he’s batting just .159/.245/.250 in 49 plate appearances — there could be fireworks.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 26
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 149
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 15
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 24
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (150)
- My imaginary Hall of Fame ballot (89)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (75)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (74)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)