Scott Cousins’ agent responds to Brian Sabean’s comments, says client has been getting death threats
Jun 2, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT
Matt Sosnick, the agent for Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins, has responded to the harsh comments that Giants GM Brian Sabean made about his client Thursday afternoon on a San Francisco radio station.
Sosnick also claims that Cousins has tried to apologize directly to Posey on several occasions but has been denied access to the young star catcher.
“What Cousins did was not malicious,” Sosnick said. “A statement that anyone makes implying that he did something on purpose to be hurtful or malicious to Posey is untrue. Those people are misinformed. You can’t determine on a replay if there was a sliding lane for him to get into. It’s impossible.”
“I’d say Brian’s opinion is in the vast minority in baseball. I can understand the disappointment that Posey is out. I’m disappointed. My family is disappointed and I don’t even represent him. I can just tell you that if you know Scott Cousins, you know it was certainly not intentional.”
The Giants and Marlins meet up again in early August for a three-game series. If Cousins is still on Florida’s active roster — he’s batting just .159/.245/.250 in 49 plate appearances — there could be fireworks.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)