Jun 2, 2011, 8:46 AM EST
I had this headline coming in August, not June, but hey, the early bird gets the rage-induced aneurysm.
This is less notable for what Collins actually said than because it is, by far, the biggest Mets managerial outburst since that time last year when Jerry Manuel put down the book he was reading, readjusted his position in his chair, cleared his throat, took a sip of iced tea and picked his book back up again.
“I sit up every night trying to figure out, what can we do to get us over the top. Should we hit and run more? Well, who do you have up there – you have guys up there you shouldn’t hit and run with. Should we bunt more? Well, if we don’t get bunts down, you’re putting them in situations to fail … Guys are pitching good and we get in situations where we’ve got to make a pitch, we don’t make a pitch. I don’t have the answers. I’m searching. I’m wringing the rag dry of coming in here and looking at you guys [the media], and having you look at me like I’m a stinking fool.
“They’re big league players. They should be able to do it,” he said. “I told the coaches, ‘We’ve got to do a better job. We’ve got to take responsibility for this. I mean, I’m the manager. It comes back on my shoulders. Maybe I have to make some adjustments. And by God, they’ll be made. I don’t know if it comes with finding different players, but something’s going to be changed.”
The Mets are losers of eight of 11, but I probably don’t need to tell you that.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)