Terry Collins blows up after Mets loss

Jun 2, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v New York Mets Getty Images

I had this headline coming in August, not June, but hey, the early bird gets the rage-induced aneurysm.

This is less notable for what Collins actually said than because it is, by far, the biggest Mets managerial outburst since that time last year when Jerry Manuel put down the book he was reading, readjusted his position in his chair, cleared his throat, took a sip of iced tea and picked his book back up again.

Anyway, here was what Terry Collins had to say to the press last night after he blew up at his players for a while:

“I sit up every night trying to figure out, what can we do to get us over the top. Should we hit and run more? Well, who do you have up there – you have guys up there you shouldn’t hit and run with. Should we bunt more? Well, if we don’t get bunts down, you’re putting them in situations to fail … Guys are pitching good and we get in situations where we’ve got to make a pitch, we don’t make a pitch. I don’t have the answers. I’m searching. I’m wringing the rag dry of coming in here and looking at you guys [the media], and having you look at me like I’m a stinking fool.

“They’re big league players. They should be able to do it,” he said. “I told the coaches, ‘We’ve got to do a better job. We’ve got to take responsibility for this. I mean, I’m the manager. It comes back on my shoulders. Maybe I have to make some adjustments. And by God, they’ll be made. I don’t know if it comes with finding different players, but something’s going to be changed.”

The Mets are losers of eight of 11, but I probably don’t need to tell you that.

1. Jonny 5 - Jun 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Lame!!! Bachman would have thrown things all over the place twice by now. Attacked at least one reporter. Benched the entire team. Smacked around a woman or two. Called up most of the farm. And probably have had a stroke and died twice. He knows how to win, Bachman does.

2. bigxrob - Jun 2, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I’m not sure what Collins’ problem is here; the owner said they are a “shitty team”, it seems they are playing up to expectations.

3. yankeesfanlen - Jun 2, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Here’s a goodhttp://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=B80574F047889C9DB9D8.3089?site=newsday&view=sports_blogs_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=sports_blogs&feed:i=1.2922306&nopaging=1 one from Ken Davidoff, go down to the part about the SAT test for adversity:

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 2, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Well, that didn’t work too well, but it says that Collins does as well handling adversity as Anthony Weiner does with twittering.

4. patsandsox - Jun 2, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Lame they need Ozzie Guillen at least he would make them more interesting.

I still dont understand how a big market team from New York can be so pathetic. Really bad management?

• Utley's Hair - Jun 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Where is chrisny3 when you need him…or her…or a Wilpon…?

5. macjacmccoy - Jun 2, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Im calling BS. He didnt blow up he was just being honest. He wasnt cursing or even yelling. Stop being so sensitive.

6. uuddlrlrbastart - Jun 2, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I love how he complains that the players are “giving up at bats” but then says to score more runs maybe they need to bunt more.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3380)