The Giants produce an “It gets better” video

Jun 2, 2011, 9:35 AM EDT

It Gets Better.bmp

For those unaware, the “It Gets Better” Project is an Internet-based initiative designed to reach out to kids who are being bullied because they’re gay or because they’re perceived to be so. The idea: for adults to convey to kids that, no matter how bad things may be at the moment, things do get better at some point and that most places in this world are more accepting and tolerant than high school.

The main thrust of this project comes via videos of celebrities and others with messages of hope. Until now there have been no professional sports teams involved. But the San Francisco Giants have changed that, releasing their own It Gets Better video, featuring Matt Cain, Sergio Romo, Andres Torres, Barry Zito and hitting coach Hensley Muelens. The final “It Gets Better” message is delivered in English, Spanish and Japanese.

Given that sports is often the last place where gay kids feel comfortable, this message coming from a professional sports team is welcome indeed.  Nice work, Giants.

1. Ralph - Jun 2, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Classy. Well done, Giants.

2. clydeserra - Jun 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM

you may be late for first period. What Jr. High do you go to?

• clydeserra - Jun 2, 2011 at 9:58 AM

sorry that was a response to something I don’t see anymore.

This is well done. Good for them.

3. sdelmonte - Jun 2, 2011 at 10:53 AM

The day is coming when an athlete in one of the big sports will be able to come out, knowing that there will be people who have his back. It will still be rough in ways I cannot imagine, but efforts like this and the PSAs that Steve Nash and Sean Avery did to support gay marriage in NY State show me the culture is shifting at last in pro sports.

4. tjwilliams - Jun 2, 2011 at 10:55 AM

The first time I saw this, I thought it was going to be a riff on the It Gets Better project, consoling Giants fans over the loss of Buster Posey. Then I thought, “why haven’t the Twins done this, I’d like to know that it’ll get better, too.”

This is way cooler, though.

5. Utley's Hair - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Good on them. I hope to live to see the day where the closet no longer exists and people are free to be themselves from the beginning.

A local deejay (Pierre Robert on WMMR, who incidentally grew up in Frisco), frequently quotes someone he interviewed once by saying “Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.”

6. tomemos - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM

One of the most positive developments in male culture over the past decade or so is that athletes are increasingly more concerned with being cool than with being macho. This is an example of that phenomenon, I think.

7. ryanist - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:59 AM

who are some of the other radio guys i should be listening to? I currently enjoy Uecker, Hughes, Farmio, Powell, the Indians’ guys.

8. IdahoMariner - Jun 2, 2011 at 12:01 PM

this made my day. nice work, Giants.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3961)