And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Jun 3, 2011, 5:49 AM EDT

San Francisco Giants v St. Louis Cardinals Getty Images

What a dead night for baseball. Only six games plus the day tilt in New York. All night my Twitter feed was filled with people talking about the NBA (15%) and the damn spelling bee (85%).  And between the two of those things I don’t think there’s any more human misery possible to unleash on the world.

Whatever. Seven baseball games is better than none, so let us be thankful for what we have.

Giants 12, Cardinals 7: Three homers and six RBI for Aubrey Huff makes him easily the biggest RBI whore of the day (Update: I missed that Colby Rasmus had six RBI as well, so let’s call them co-RBI whores). For St. Louis, Lance Lynn not only makes his major league debut, but he makes it on short rest against the defending World Series champs. Oh, and his defense decided not to show up either. No errors while he was in the game but all manner of misplays that make Lynn’s line look misleading (5.1 IP, 4 H, 5 ER, 5K), though due to Huff’s heroics, it probably doesn’t matter.  While we’re talking about the Giants, after this mean-spirited display of jackassery, I kind of want Brian Sabean to get fired for some reason and never find another job for as long as he lives. There. How do you like it, Brian?

Mets 9, Pirates 8: I hit this one up yesterday. Shorter version: On Wednesday the Mets did a pretty decent Pirates imitation. On Thursday, the Pirates did a pretty decent Mets imitation. These are two teams that deserve one another.

Rangers 7, Indians 4: Indians’ pitchers did not strike out a single Rangers hitter. Hurm. Cleveland is 4-6 in their last 10. A mere bump in the road or are we on pumpkin watch?

Twins 8, Royals 2: The six-run third pretty much ended this one before it started. I guess if you have to look on the bright side for Kansas City it’s that Joakim Soria pitched two innings without getting his head blown off.

Astros 7, Padres 4: That’s four wins in a row for Houston, all on the road. I like to imagine that, if a team wins every game on a road trip, little music plays at the end and applause is heard sort of like when you clear all the coins in a row in Super Mario.

Nationals 6, Diamondbacks 1: A three-run first inning and thirteen hits overall made this an easy night for Washington. Another strong start for Jordan Zimmermann, and this time — unlike most of his good starts lately — he actually gets a win.

Mariners 8, Rays 2: Two home runs for Carlos Peguero and the M’s hit four overall off James Shields.  Meanwhile, a typical day at the office for Felix Hernandez (7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 11K).

OK, now, can we get back to a nice 15-game schedule tonight? Thanks.

1. uyf1950 - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:02 AM

I think the headline of this blog is a little misleading. It should really just be “Thursday’s scores” As a Yankees fan for many, many years I have come to realize there can be no highlights when the Yankee’s aren’t playing.

Hopefully by the time everyone gets to this paragraph they realize that was my attempt at humor. It’s very early in the morning and I just wanted to bring a little smile to everyone’s face. Enjoy.

• gmc173 - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:35 AM

Try again a little later cuz that was a pretty horrible attempt.

• CJ - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:25 AM

clearly he hasn’t had his coffee this AM

• Jonny 5 - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Try calling Jeter “Beep- Beep”. I think I might too. Maybe everyone should call Jeter Beep Beep. Imagine all the roadrunner Beep Beep Yankees shirts that could be sold to the masses….. The coyote in RS garb…. Man.. Cha ching!

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Jonny, I’d cry infringement on intellectual property, however, since I am of the google philosophy, you may parse my trademarks at your discretion.
        A representative from Yankeesfanlen’s Universal Headquarters will be contacting you soon.

• CJ - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:58 AM

wait…its possible for yankees fans to have “intellectual” anything?

learn something new every day! :)

• Vincent - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Your wit is unrivaled.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Len, Print the shirts and they will come……. Chicks will really dig the RR and coyote thing man. It’ll catch on like those terrible “ILL” shirts some Phills fans wear that I see being sold everywhere. $$$$ Beep Beep!

• Vincent - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Beep Beep!

• cur68 - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Awright, then if Jeets is RR who’s Wile E Coyote in this thing? ARod? I think nay. He’s more of a Foghorn Leghorn type. Big rooster. I tell you what; join me in advocating Reyes to the Yankees, thus making life real difficult for Jeets, THEN you got a legit Wile E.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:18 AM

That’s simple Cur. Any Red Sox will do. The RR has to be Jeets though.

• cur68 - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I like it. Therefore Papelbon is Wile E Coyote. That just suits him…Jonathan Papelbon, Super Genius…

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Jonny……Conference call at 1 PM today with Jack Warner, Casey Close and John Henry…..we need product on the street by 3PM Tuesday!

• Jonny 5 - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Just got off the horn Lenny. Warner Bros. is not only “not on board” but told me that if anyone bootlegs these shirts they’re coming after you. I may have told them it was your idea…… ;)

• uyf1950 - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Well as I write this at least 6 people saw the humor of my original post. Don’t worry posters future comments will be my usual thought provoking, team building ideas/posts that have become synonymous with the moniker UYF1950. At least that’s my opinion.

• easports82 - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Yeah, keep playing to that 33%.

Wait a minute… could ufy1950 be Sarah Palin?

• CJ - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:01 AM

33% is the statistical equivalent of the sympathy factor. so yes, even as a repub, I’d have to say Palin’s a fair comparison there

• Jonny 5 - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:47 AM

UYF, if it makes you feel any better Myself, “El bravo Heyward”, or bicepts have probably said worse, and have definitely seen more thumbs down. You are loved in other words. Well at least more than my examples above.

• uyf1950 - Jun 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Jonny 5 my friend. Thank you for the encouraging words. Genius is often misunderstood.

• The Rabbit - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Genius is often misunderstood.
        I couldn’t agree more.
        Regards,
        Tony La Russa

• APBA Guy - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I think the 27 thumbs down for ufy are a little harsh. Sure, the comment isn’t Seinfeld ca. 1995, but I found it amusing.

Then again, I thought Sabean’s comments were from some other planet. They’d have to be because only on another planet could they be taken seriously. It pains me to say that, since I’ve defended him in the past on Bonds-related issues, and last year’s WS title I feel in part validated those feelings. But his remarks on Cousins lack any shred of rationality.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:00 AM

I want to throw something out there. Given that Chase Utley has a wonky knee and they have been playing him way more then they said they would; do you think they are doping him up? I don’t mean with PED’s or anything that unsavory, but maybe a few painkillers in between innings. I am not making accusations, just want other peoples opinions on the subject. Any yes, I am a Phillies fan. It appears as though I will be moderately busy until noon, so I won’t be able to respond to any replies. I do, however, look forward to reading your opinions.

• CJ - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:30 AM

If they are they’re stupid. It’s one thing if the shoot him up once a week with a pain killer, but if he needs anything more than that they need to sit him more frequently.

I’d argue that the Phils will make the playoffs with or without Chase Utley, but they won’t win the World Series without him in the lineup in October/early November.

• cur68 - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:38 AM

‘army; Well if they’ve been truthful about the knee condition then what he had was more akin to tennis elbow than a structural damage thing. Providing he’s re-habbed & treated it, I don’t see why he needs anything more for it. Should be pain free now.

Trouble with the Phills is that they reported 2 conditions; patellar tendonitis 1st & then said they were wrong and it was chondromalcia (known here on HBT as ‘the knee clap” due to a spell check error turning “chondromalacia” into “chlamidia”; apparently we are more familiar with one than the other). The 2 conditions are related (in that they involve the patella) but are treated differently. Then every report on HBT stated it was PT when the last thing the team said was chondro. I don’t know for certain which it is. Either way proper re-hab and he’s good to go.

3. Jonny 5 - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:00 AM

I knew the Nats would start taking teams to task. I just thought it would be after their best player got back to the lineup… Hmmm?

• natstowngreg - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Hmmm indeed. Keep in mind that the D-Backs started the immortal Zach Duke last night, so that was alnost a freebie. Still, my decision to stay up late to watch the game was rewarded.

It was great to see Jordan Zimmermann finally get the support he deserves. In the Nats’ plans, he’s the #2 starter behind Strasburg. Looks like he’s starting to settle into that role. Even better, it reminds us that TJS is often successful, giving reason for optimism about Strasburg’s return.

Gotta go, need to pick up my order of Danny Espinosa for Rookie of the Year t-shirts.

4. kiwicricket - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Poor form Brian. Poor form….Think of the kids

• CJ - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:33 AM

we’ve heard a lot more outcry from him over the Posey incident than when a Giants fan nearly got beat to death at the Dodger game, which sickens me.

I realize that the man gets paid to but a winning team on the field and that dream snapped with Posey’s ankle, but it’s poor form and sour grapes if you ask me. No class.

• cur68 - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Sabean needs to shut the hell up, I agree. I do NOT want to hear from Bud Lame on this one; he’ll just make the whole thing worse.

5. kopy - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:12 AM

To be fair, I’m pretty confident that I, too, could pitch 2 innings to the Twins without getting my head blown off. I mean, they had one guy (Span) in the lineup last night with a OBP over .325.

6. The Rabbit - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:03 AM

From what I’ve read, Brian Sabean’s comment is in character, i.e., he is a horse’s ass. No one should be surprised when he sounds like one.
    BTW-The topic of yesterday’s KC Royals e-mail: Vote early and often for Frenchy as an All-Star.

7. umrguy42 - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Craig, as somebody who was *in* the National Spelling Bee oh so long ago, I gotta say, when did they get the jack to get all the fancy stage and whatnot? When I did it, it was a stage, with (admittedly nicely padded) folding chairs on risers for us kids, and you walked up to the mic to spell. No pretty backgrounds, no little losers’ lounge over to the side for exit interviews (I talked to a couple reporters outside the auditorium, for goodness’ sake). Just a basic stage and chairs. (Spent the rest to get us all into the Capital Hilton and send us sightseeing the rest of the time, I guess, which was a great trade-off, but still.)

• spudchukar - Jun 3, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Yeah, and they spelled “old” “olde”.

8. royhobbs39 - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:51 AM

As a Nationals fan…I am glad to see the streak has begun. Three games. Two against the defending champs and the first against the D’Backs. With the O’s, the Cubs, and the Pirates on the horizon, there seems to be a new team in play in the East.

9. skerney - Jun 3, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Craig, don’t write the scores when you’re angry.

Three legends off to Cooperstown