Jun 3, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
Jon Garland went more than a decade without needing a stint on the disabled list, but now Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles reports that he’s headed to the DL for the second time this season because of a shoulder injury.
According to Jackson shutting down Garland will make room on the roster for Vicente Padilla‘s return from a forearm injury of his own, although that starter-for-reliever swap would leave a hole in the Dodgers’ rotation with Garland’s next outing scheduled for Tuesday.
Jackson speculates that recent call-up Rubby De La Rosa could get the nod, but he’s been pitching out of the bullpen since being promoted from Double-A and hasn’t started anywhere in nearly a month.
Garland has lost four straight decisions while totaling more walks (13) than strikeouts (10).
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 30
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 84
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)