Jun 3, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
Jon Garland went more than a decade without needing a stint on the disabled list, but now Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles reports that he’s headed to the DL for the second time this season because of a shoulder injury.
According to Jackson shutting down Garland will make room on the roster for Vicente Padilla‘s return from a forearm injury of his own, although that starter-for-reliever swap would leave a hole in the Dodgers’ rotation with Garland’s next outing scheduled for Tuesday.
Jackson speculates that recent call-up Rubby De La Rosa could get the nod, but he’s been pitching out of the bullpen since being promoted from Double-A and hasn’t started anywhere in nearly a month.
Garland has lost four straight decisions while totaling more walks (13) than strikeouts (10).
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (147)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)