Jun 3, 2011, 5:13 PM EST
Jon Garland went more than a decade without needing a stint on the disabled list, but now Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles reports that he’s headed to the DL for the second time this season because of a shoulder injury.
According to Jackson shutting down Garland will make room on the roster for Vicente Padilla‘s return from a forearm injury of his own, although that starter-for-reliever swap would leave a hole in the Dodgers’ rotation with Garland’s next outing scheduled for Tuesday.
Jackson speculates that recent call-up Rubby De La Rosa could get the nod, but he’s been pitching out of the bullpen since being promoted from Double-A and hasn’t started anywhere in nearly a month.
Garland has lost four straight decisions while totaling more walks (13) than strikeouts (10).
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)