Jun 3, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
Jon Garland went more than a decade without needing a stint on the disabled list, but now Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles reports that he’s headed to the DL for the second time this season because of a shoulder injury.
According to Jackson shutting down Garland will make room on the roster for Vicente Padilla‘s return from a forearm injury of his own, although that starter-for-reliever swap would leave a hole in the Dodgers’ rotation with Garland’s next outing scheduled for Tuesday.
Jackson speculates that recent call-up Rubby De La Rosa could get the nod, but he’s been pitching out of the bullpen since being promoted from Double-A and hasn’t started anywhere in nearly a month.
Garland has lost four straight decisions while totaling more walks (13) than strikeouts (10).
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)