Hey, Nick Johnson is alive

Jun 3, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT

Nick Johnson

Nick Johnson, who was rumored to have once played major league baseball, is going to get the start for the Double-A Akron Aeros tonight. I’m informed that it’s actually in a baseball-playing capacity as well.  Interesting.

Now, everyone who remembered that Johnson signed with the Indians in the offseason, please raise your hands.  Not you Nick: don’t want you to hurt anything due to unnecessary motion.

For his career, Nick Johnson has averaged 88 games a year. He played in 24 games for the Yankees last year, but unlike all of his other injury-shortened stints, he didn’t produce at all.  I would put a little money on the proposition of him playing in the majors this season. I’d put way less that he’s productive. I’d put nothing on him staying healthy.

But hey, Nick Johnson.

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:47 PM

“Hey, Nick Johnson is alive”

Hey, Babe Ruth is dead

2. jwbiii - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:54 PM

And another guy comes off my “missing” list.

Anybody know what’s up with Gabe Kapler?

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Well, I don’t know about Gabe Kapler, but I know that Gabe Kaplan is still alive.

3. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Craig, your sources appear to be more informed than some of the fancy pansty baseball writers at other places :-)

4. bigleagues - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:05 PM

“Hey, Nick Johnson is alive”

This has got to be one of my favorite headlines of the season!

Incidentally, I was fortunate enough to be working for the AA Yankees back in ’99 where Soriano and Johnson both played most of that season. Johnson used to stay healthy . . . in the minors. He also had a .550 OBA that season – without being a ball-crushing PED user.

I, and many others were convinced that the Yankees had found their new Mattingly . . . and though I’m a Red Sox fan by birthright . . . it is sad to see how such a big talent and a promising career could be derailed by injury so badly. Johnson also happened to be one of the nicer guys you’ll meet in the game.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:26 PM

He’s Larry Bowa’s nephew. That makes him a winner.

5. pisano - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Any team that signs this guy deserves what he’ll give them, time on the DL. This guy is an accident waiting to happen.

6. baseballstars - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Nick Johnson will be the first person to ever be put on the 15 year DL.

• bigleagues - Jun 4, 2011 at 9:31 AM

LOL Hmmmm . . . Rich Harden is trying real hard to beat him.

Come to think of it . . . Chien Ming Wang was signed by the Nationals LAST YEAR and thought to be back by mid-2010. Still hasn’t gotten passed the ominous “back-to-back throwing off the mound sessions” milestone.

But i think you’re right . . . Nick the Stick has got a leg up (or is it down?) on everyone!

7. superpriebe - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I guess his poker game with Mark Prior has come to an end. Prior must be seeking out David Segui.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3496)