Hideki Okajima would rather be traded than rejoin Red Sox

Jun 3, 2011, 10:47 AM EST

Hideki Okajima

Rich Hill‘s injury leaves the Red Sox short of a left-handed reliever and opens the door for Hideki Okajima to potentially be called back up from Triple-A, but Okajima told Michael Vega of the Boston Globe that he “would rather not be called up in this situation.”

Demoted to Triple-A for the second time this season, Okajima called it “a new start for me” explained that “hopefully along the line another team will show more interest in me and I can be traded.”

Of course, it’s unclear whether the Red Sox would seriously consider recalling Okajima to fill Hill’s spot anyway. He’s obviously fallen out of favor in a big way and they were willing to lose him on waivers for nothing last week, but predictably no other teams were willing to take on the remainder of his $1.75 million salary.

1. royhobbs39 - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I know he has gone downhill, but it seems like someone in contention would be willing to grab a lefty reliever with a good deal of big league experience? Have his outings really been that bad this year?

2. deathmonkey41 - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Maybe he can get his hands on some of those “Dominican Milkshakes” from Big Papi and turn his career around.

• Jack Marshall - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:17 PM

What a despicable and unfair comment.

• marinersnate - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:30 PM

“Maybe he can get his hands on some of those “Dominican Milkshakes” from Big Papi..”

Or maybe just hang out with A-Rod’s cousin.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I’m still not sure why the Yankees didn’t claim him. They are desperate for a lefty, and his salary is not prohibitive.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Yeah, if the Yankees have one lefty in the bullpen who’s not pitching all that well and they didn’t claim him, then he must be damaged goods.

• pisano - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I’ll tell you why, he’s a bum. Anytime the Red Sox reassign a player it’s usually because they have burned him out. I have a feeling their next victim will be Alfredo Aceves, stand by.

4. frankvzappa - Jun 3, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I understand really good players having a problem with losing skills as they get older, but Oki was always just a decent relief pitcher. He has no right to act like the organization is wronging one of its stars. I will thumbs down myself just to give you guys a head start on it.

5. droogleeddie - Jun 3, 2011 at 12:14 PM

This can’t be about his numbers…

After giving up 3 runs in less than an inning in his first outing of the year, he has only given up 1 run in 7.2 innings. He has been left effective against lefties than righties, which is weird… but you would figure SOME team would try to pick him up.

He is a lefty reliever with a decent track record (though he did not have a great year last year)… I wonder if he slapped Francona in the face or hit on Theo’s girlfriend or something.

6. Jack Marshall - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Oki is justified in feeling mistreated. There was no reason to dump him to bring in Morales, who hasn’t pitched as well as he had this season, and Morales is now disabled too. He has a bad year in 2010, but looked pretty much like the the 2007-2008 model thus far.

That said, I have no idea why he wasn’t picked up on waivers. Somebody must know something.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6147)