If David Wright gets traded, he can be a free agent after 2012

Jun 3, 2011, 9:31 AM EDT

Wright_David

I said yesterday that I don’t think the Mets should trade David Wright. But in the event that the Mets disagree with that assessment, understand that their job is going to be a bit harder than you might imagine. Why? Because as Andy Martino notes, Wright’s contract is better for the Mets than it would be for whoever acquires him:

A source with direct knowledge of Wright’s contract told the Daily News that the $16 million club option for 2013 belongs only to the Mets. If the Mets trade Wright this offseason, the acquiring club would control him for just one year, with no contract option for 2013. Wright would become a free agent after next season.

You probably shouldn’t trade one of the best third basemen in the game. But if you do, you had best get a good haul for him.  With only one season on his deal instead of two, the prospective haul is going to be way less than some people may expect.

1. eshine76 - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Hopefully Wright can net us a quality arm like Victor Zambrano.

2. aschwartz2011 - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM

If I were Wright I would offer to extend the option to another team if:

1- A large buyout (7-8 mil) was added if the option is not picked up (basically injury coverage)

2- He gets some control over the team he is sent to (ie he can name 10-15 teams this would not apply to)

From his perspective he knows that if he stays with the Mets the option is going to get picked up. So this way he gets extra protection in case he is hurt and he gets to go to a team that is more likely to contend. Either way he is with a team for the next two years before he can get an extension, this way the two years might be less hectic.

• kopy - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I agree with you, but I often look at it this way: If Wright extends this option to other teams, that raises his own price tag. Why would he want his new team to give up more for him than they would otherwise? I would want my new team to have as many pieces in place as possible.

• aschwartz2011 - Jun 3, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Yeah, I often think about that when I am thinking about player trades.

But in this case if you have to be somewhere for two years, would you rather be somewhere that has a good team, minus some good prospects, or on the Mets who are struggling anyways.

3. tcostant - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Can’t options be picked up at any time. I hear of these options being exerised before the end of the contract. So can’t the Mets agree to a trade, pick up the option and the exucte the trade with the 2013 option included already? Seems simple to me.

• kopy - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I’m pretty sure it depends entirely on how it’s written into the contract.

Michael Cuddyer’s 2011 option had to be picked up before the 2010 season, as per the contract. Of course, he had a career year in 2009, so now he’s overpaid when the option probably wouldn’t have been picked up if they could have waited until after the 2010 season to decide.

4. metalhead65 - Jun 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM

as a reds fan if uncle Walt is the genius everybody says he is then forget about reyes and get wright asap! rolen has been great for the reds but he is old and brittle and the reds have nobody else to play third. come on Walt make it happen!

5. xmatt0926x - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I agree with Craig and have never understood the rush for the Mets to get rid of Wright or Reyes. They are both very good to great players who are still relatively young. aren’t these the type of players you want? I do get that the team has floundered and as a Phillies fan I’ve enjoyed mocking their fans for the 2007 and 2008 choke jobs, but what is the benefit of getting rid of these two guys? At the very least admit it’s all about slashing payroll and screwing your fans and don’t pretend it’s about rebuliding when the goal of any rebuilding process would be to get the exact type of players these two are to begin with. I hate the childish monkey antics of Reyes with his strutting and choreographed hand slapping routines done after the smallest of achievements but the guy is a stud and a total disruption of the game when he get’s on base. He’s good for about 80 steals a year. Keep Reyes and Wright to go along with Davis, Pagan and Bay, get rid of K-rod and Beltran, and grab another starter to go with Niese, Pelfrey, and Santana. All of these guys other than Santana are still young. It’s a good core in my opinion.

• tradedavidwrightnow - Jun 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Ill agree with you on the Reyes part, the guy is the spark in the Mets lineup. He can change the course of a game by himself with his speed and his ability to make pitchers balk almost at will. Trading Reyes would be a huge mistake because he is a serious talent and should be built around. Howeer, Wrights numbers have been decent over the past 3 seasons but his strikeouts are insane, and he doesnt get the job done with men in scoring position anymore. I watch every single game and know now that when we have 2 men on and Wright comes to the plate, those runners are getting stranded. Maybe not every time, but 80% of the time its true now. He is just not the player we all hoped he would be a few years ago. Hopefully we can get some good prospects for him and a decent mid rotation pitcher. Plus it frees up money to sign Reyes to a long term deal in the future

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS