Jun 3, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
Anyone can sit back and say how much of a classless, low-rent jerk Brian Sabean was in his comments about Scott Cousins last night. I mean, when a high level executive of a major league baseball team fans the flames of a situation in which the player in question is already getting death threats — and when his family actually lives in the city whence the threats presumably hail — it’s pretty easy to say something like “Sabean is a jackass.” See, I just said it!
But it’s also worth noting — as Wezen-Ball’s Larry Granillo does in exceedingly clear terms in this wonderful post over at Baseball Prospectus — that Sabean, in addition to being a jerk, is being outrageously inconsistent. Seems he’s never had a problem with catcher collisions before. It’s only now, when his superstar is on the wrong end of things that he’s so animated about it. Check out Larry’s rundown and then, if you have the ear of Brian Sabean, feel free to ask him about it. I’d love to hear his answer.
Of course, Sabean has a track record of wanting there to be different rules for his superstars, so this is no surprise.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)