Jun 3, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
Anyone can sit back and say how much of a classless, low-rent jerk Brian Sabean was in his comments about Scott Cousins last night. I mean, when a high level executive of a major league baseball team fans the flames of a situation in which the player in question is already getting death threats — and when his family actually lives in the city whence the threats presumably hail — it’s pretty easy to say something like “Sabean is a jackass.” See, I just said it!
But it’s also worth noting — as Wezen-Ball’s Larry Granillo does in exceedingly clear terms in this wonderful post over at Baseball Prospectus — that Sabean, in addition to being a jerk, is being outrageously inconsistent. Seems he’s never had a problem with catcher collisions before. It’s only now, when his superstar is on the wrong end of things that he’s so animated about it. Check out Larry’s rundown and then, if you have the ear of Brian Sabean, feel free to ask him about it. I’d love to hear his answer.
Of course, Sabean has a track record of wanting there to be different rules for his superstars, so this is no surprise.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)