Jun 3, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
Anyone can sit back and say how much of a classless, low-rent jerk Brian Sabean was in his comments about Scott Cousins last night. I mean, when a high level executive of a major league baseball team fans the flames of a situation in which the player in question is already getting death threats — and when his family actually lives in the city whence the threats presumably hail — it’s pretty easy to say something like “Sabean is a jackass.” See, I just said it!
But it’s also worth noting — as Wezen-Ball’s Larry Granillo does in exceedingly clear terms in this wonderful post over at Baseball Prospectus — that Sabean, in addition to being a jerk, is being outrageously inconsistent. Seems he’s never had a problem with catcher collisions before. It’s only now, when his superstar is on the wrong end of things that he’s so animated about it. Check out Larry’s rundown and then, if you have the ear of Brian Sabean, feel free to ask him about it. I’d love to hear his answer.
Of course, Sabean has a track record of wanting there to be different rules for his superstars, so this is no surprise.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)