Jun 3, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
Anyone can sit back and say how much of a classless, low-rent jerk Brian Sabean was in his comments about Scott Cousins last night. I mean, when a high level executive of a major league baseball team fans the flames of a situation in which the player in question is already getting death threats — and when his family actually lives in the city whence the threats presumably hail — it’s pretty easy to say something like “Sabean is a jackass.” See, I just said it!
But it’s also worth noting — as Wezen-Ball’s Larry Granillo does in exceedingly clear terms in this wonderful post over at Baseball Prospectus — that Sabean, in addition to being a jerk, is being outrageously inconsistent. Seems he’s never had a problem with catcher collisions before. It’s only now, when his superstar is on the wrong end of things that he’s so animated about it. Check out Larry’s rundown and then, if you have the ear of Brian Sabean, feel free to ask him about it. I’d love to hear his answer.
Of course, Sabean has a track record of wanting there to be different rules for his superstars, so this is no surprise.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)