Scott Cousins issues statement on collision, Sabean’s comments

Jun 3, 2011, 6:46 PM EDT

Scott Cousins Getty Images

Scott Cousins continues to take the high road after getting bashed by Giants GM Brian Sabean on the radio.

“I hope and believe that Mr. Sabean’s comments were made in the heat of the moment and are based more on his fondness for Buster Posey than on any animosity towards me,” hes said in the statement. “This situation is still an open wound for many, including myself. As I have stated previously, nobody outside of Buster feels worse about his injury than I do.”

Cousins has tried to contact Posey since initiating the collision that ended the catcher’s season, but he’s been unsuccessful.

Although he’s a San Francisco native, Cousins has received death threats since the play.  Still, it doesn’t sound like he’d do anything differently.

“I do believe, however, that the play was clean and totally within the rules of the game,” he said. “Explaining over and over that I would never intentionally hurt another player for any reason won’t change the minds of those who doubt my sincerity or intent. I have a responsibility to myself, my teammates, and my organization to play the game hard. This is what has gotten me to the big leagues, and hopefully this is what will keep me here.”

Yeah… about that.  Cousins is hitting just .159/.245/.250 with 17 strikeouts in 44 at-bats this season.  The Marlins could choose to demote him and give Bryan Petersen a try at some point.

1. mrcowpatty - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:12 PM

August 12, 13, and 14 @ Florida. Could be very interesting.

2. granted42 - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I’m a long time Giants fan, and I haven’t doubted Cousins’ sincerity at any time. Whether you like it or not, the play was not dirty, and was part of the game. Unfortunately, the play led to Posey’s season ending. It sucks for us Giants fan, but let’s move on. I despise the comments made by Sabean, and have lost a lot of respect for the man. If he had done a better job of getting people who could actually hit, Posey’s loss wouldn’t hurt so much.

I think anyone making death threats over the situation needs to return to their asylum and resume treatment. The rest of us will continue to live rational lives.

• bhoffman07 - Jun 4, 2011 at 12:56 AM

This play was dirty, let me explain. Posey was not blocking the plate; Cousins had an open lane to the plate, a sub-par hook slide would have scored him. He had the choice to slide into the open lane, or go out of his way and drill Posey who was AWAY from the plate. He chose to go at Posey; the dirty choice. The collision was so awkward because Posey knew he gave up an open lane to the runner. So he lunged to the far side to tag Cousins. But Posey did not know that Cousins already made his choice that he would lunge at Posey. Then right as Posey began his lunge, Cousins made contact with him. Am I huge Giants fan, yes. Do I hate Cousins, absolutely not. He seems to be a good man with a good heart; his response to Seaban’s comments help to prove that. I wish this hadn;t brought so many enemies to Cousins. He made a huge mental mistake, a dirty play, but I know that he is a solid player, not a dirty player.

• Glenn - Jun 4, 2011 at 2:09 AM

Once a catcher chooses to block any part of the plate, he has to accept the consequences. Do you really believe that Cousins was putting hurting Posey over scoring the run?

3. nyyankeedave - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Cousins has been sincere from the outset. We know Posey is upset, but from all accounts, he’s a standup kid. I trust the two will get together and talk this thing out. It’d be therapeutic for both. Who knows, they could strike up a friendship. That’d be Hallmark-esque. Besides, it would be awful if Cousins had to move his family out of beautiful San Francisco and to a city like, say Kansas City. There’s nothin’ but rib joints there. Oh, and that minor league affiliate of my Yanks: the Royals.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Did you just wake up from 1958? Pretty sure that’s the last time the Royals acted like a “farm team” for your Bombers.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM

That was the KC A’s that were the NYY “farm team”.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:37 PM

KC A’s – NYY trades 1955-61

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Good point. Brain fart.

4. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Good for Scott Cousins. Classy statement and I hope we’ve all learned something. This is exactly how Brian Sabean should have acted.

5. addictedzone - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:09 PM

“The Marlins could choose to demote him and give Bryan Petersen a try at some point.”

I like Petey, but let’s not forget that he’s hitting a brisk .071 in 28 at bats. He hasn’t managed to get back the stroke that he had in Jacksonville or in the Arizona Fall League 2 seasons ago.

6. thomas2727 - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Was play was within the rules? Yes

Was the play clean as Mr. Cousins suggests? Depends on your opinion.

I guess we could argue that forever.

• micker716 - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Or we could move on and discuss relevant baseball issues. Please.

7. nyyankeedave - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Nah, 1991. Say, whatever happened to that scrawny outfielder from Pittsburgh? You know, the speedy one with a liitle pop in his bat? BTW Brian Sabean, issue an apology already.

8. pjmarn6 - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:10 PM

The controversy would end in a second if everyone would review the slow motion play of the incident. Focus on the left foot of Posey as he tries to catch the ball. You will see that the foot is twisted at an angle as if his cleat caught the dirt or the edge of the home plate. As the foot was at this terrible ankle and caught, when Cousins hit him, the damage occured to Posey. Had Posey been standing or learning forward without the foot at the angle, there would have been no injury. In the second or two, Posey was trying to catch the ball and swipe Cousins. It appears that Cousin thought the ball was coming in high and was trying to knock the ball out of Posey’s possession which is completely legal. Posey blocked the plate which is legal. So if the foot was not at a bad angle or caught then you would have had a tumble and no one hurt and had Cousin’s knocked the ball out of Posey’s glove he would have been a hero. There is a site on the internet where you can watch the play in slow motion and see how badly Posey’s left foot is twisted “BEFORE” the contact. And if you look carefully, it “MAY” have been caught either in the dirt or on the home plate.

9. pjmarn6 - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:11 PM

ankle=angle

10. mrcowpatty - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:19 PM

If you watch the replay, you’ll see that the intent was to knock the ball out of Poseys glove. After the collision, Cousins reached back and touched home plate. Posey gave him plenty of room to touch home plate. If you don’t call this a cheap shot then there is no reason for someone running to first base to take out the first baseman. I won’t be surprised if the first pitch Cousin sees is a 98 mph fastball at his head.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:37 PM

And if he does you can expect heavy suspensions and fines for the pitcher, Bochy, Sabean, and probably the team itself. A 98 MPH fastball at the head is a deadly weapon, and not at all proportional response. Especially for a legal play. My guess is that there’s a public reconciling before the next Giants/Marlins game, a photo op, and everyone moves on.

• jxegh - Jun 4, 2011 at 2:28 AM

It used to be legal to throw at batters, and the rules were changed to protect the players. When a grown man running as fast as he can intentionally mows down another who is not expecting it, it’s a cheap shop. Legal? Yes. Time for a rule change.

11. baseball333 - Jun 4, 2011 at 12:05 AM

This whole incident is unfortunate. MLB lost a bright young star for the season, the SF Giants lost the talents of Buster Posey for the year and 1 game in the standings, and Scott Cousins scored the winning run, but absorbed the wrath of many for the damage incurred on the play. Was this intentional – No!!! Could it have been avoided – probably !!!

What we all have to get to is that the group of us making comments love the game, and should have enough respect for the game to handle the unfortunate circumstances of this one play and move forward.

I continue to wonder if Scott Cousins left 3rd base too early… When I consider that the flyball was as shallow as it was and that Nate’s record for throwing runners our is up there with the best – the paly was far too close.

I would suggest that for the integrity of the game we all love that we stuff the anger and harsh words that are circulating and go back to what’s important. The season’s just begun and why bring MLB down by any senseless violence or words that could bring more harm to the players involved or the game itself.

Let’s enjoy the season for what it is… a wonderful pasttime amongst our everyday lifes. Get Positive – Move Forward – Enjoy !!!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto