This is getting fun: Logan Morrison fires back at Brian Sabean, Buster Posey

Jun 3, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT

Logan Morrison AP

Marlins’ outfielder Logan Morrison was on Sirius/XM with Casey Stern and Jim Bowden this afternoon, talking about the Buster Posey/Scott Cousins collision and Brian Sabean’s comments from yesterday.  Not surprisingly, Morrison pulled no punches, especially with respect to Sabean:

“First of all, it’s wildly unprofessional for him to make any comment on the situation.  When has he played in the big leagues?  When has he played in the minor leagues?  Correct me if I’m wrong but he’s never been in a situation like that.  It’s terrible.  Why would you wish anything like that on anybody? … He’s taking this very hard without the comments that [Sabean]’s made.  He’s getting death threats from people.  This is his hometown, San Francisco.  He’s worried about his family and his friends that are there.  And now he’s going to make comments like that?  It’s ignorant, it’s inappropriate and he has no idea what the hell he’s talking about.”

He went on to say that, while he understands that Posey may be angry about all of this, he should “be the bigger man” and accept the phone calls Cousins has been trying to make to him to apologize.  When prompted by Stern, Morrison agreed that Posey was being “very immature and unprofessional.”

And really, I can’t disagree with any of it.

1. skerney - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Easy twitter-boy.

2. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:41 PM

LoMo for President!

3. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Is this ever going to end?

4. skerney - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Sabean fanned the flames, but the media is dumping kerosene on it.

• yettyskills - Jun 4, 2011 at 12:45 AM

actually dumping kerosene on flames would just put the flames out, not explosive like gasoline.

5. halladaysbicepts - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Logan Morrison is 100% right. There needs to be a resolution to this matter so all parties can put it behind them.

I propose that Logan Morrison teams up with Cousins to face off against Brian Sabean and Pat “The Machine” Burrell in the MMA ring to settle this once and for all.

My money is on Cousins, especially with his ability to swipe the leg ala Johnny from the Karate Kid.

• rebarratige - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:56 PM

“There needs to be a resolution to this matter so all parties can put it behind them.”

Maybe another Beer Summit at the White House?

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM

That’s a good idea. Quick, someone needs to get President Obama on the phone to arrange it!

The only thing is they better not invite Pat “The Machine” Burrell to it. If you get a couple of beers in that guy, he tends to roll out the gimp outfit.

• joecool16280 - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM

SWEEP?

• sasquash20 - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM

THATS GREAT.

• xxsuperstarsanixx - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:34 AM

If you were in extreme pain, would you be thinking about the who’s calling you?

6. nps6724 - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:53 PM

This 23-year old kid “gets it”. And he actually made good points without acting like a fool. And he looks far more mature than Sabean.

7. kopy - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:04 PM

No matter how upset you can be with someone, I don’t why you would let it get to the point where you won’t talk to someone. At least answer your phone and hear the guy out, even if it’s just one chance. It’s not like Cousins left Posey at the alter.

• kopy - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:05 PM

*this is me wishing I could go back and re-spell ‘altar'”

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Don’t fret over the spelling mistake. I misspell every fourth work I type.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:08 PM

See. I meant to say *word instead of *work.

• opshuns - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM

You never done it? It is human nature to blot out people you don’t like.

8. thomas2727 - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Sabean is out of line.

Death threats are so far out of line that nobody can defend that type of knucklehead talk.

But it is laughable that Morrison goes to the oldest card in the deck.

The old you never played card.

Vin Scully never played but I am sure he knows more about baseball than you will ever know Mr. Morrison.

• joecool16280 - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Good points.

• clydeserra - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Vin Scully played ad Fordham FWIW.

• thomas2727 - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:40 PM

What professional league is Fordham in?

• clydeserra - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Fordham is a university in New York. Not a professional team.

“FWIW” is internets slang for “for what its worth,” meaning this is an interesting piece of information related to, yet not dispositive of the issue at hand.

• thomas2727 - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I have heard of Fordham.

I was wondering why you named a college when Morrison specifically said Sabean never played professionally?

The Fordham Flash, Frankie Frisch so yes to be clear I have heard of Fordham.

I also know what FWIW means.

• clydeserra - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:23 PM

If you know all that, why did you ask that question?

• cur68 - Jun 4, 2011 at 12:52 AM

t’was rhetorical I believe clyde. BTW; way to bust out ‘dispositive’. Haven’t seen that one in print in some time. kudos.

9. Jonny 5 - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I haven’t heard a peep from Posey yet, so let’s give the kid a pass for now. I’d be in a percacet induced high if I were him right now. He’s got career issues weighing heavy on him now I’m sure. Sabean deserves it. I’m still a big LM fan though he’s kinda hard on Posey here I think.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:22 PM

It’s percocet big fella. I’m tired of this story. Everybody should just shut up….including this Logan Morrison character. Mouthing off to some schmucks on satellite radio isn’t going to help the situation.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Good Afternoon, Doctor Monkey.

What do you expect the Phils to do against the Bucs this weekend? I’m still bitter dropping the last (2) against the Nats. We need a win to remove that bad taste…

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Pirates always play us tough, but I think we take 2 of 3 this time.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Yeah. 2 out of 3 is always good. You play .666 ball all year, you will win the division.

How about them sending down Mayberry Jr. today? I did not like this at all. I would have released Baez. I would rather go with (1) less pitcher then removing their backup outfielder that can play all (3) outfield positions, as well as first.

Baez is not worth the sweat off my stones.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I do agree that Baez is not very good, however, I don’t like the idea of going with one less pitcher, particuarily with Kendrick back in the rotation. No long man now. Actually, I think they should have released Gload. It is becoming clear that he cannot play the field or run the bases with no hope of the injury getting better without surgery. Furthermore, the hip injury seems to have robbed him of his power, so he is essentially strictly a singles hitter who can do nothing else. I’m aware that there would be no lefty on the bench, but that is a problem for a different day.

• spudchukar - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM

With Hamels going tonight and Halladay on Sunday, 2 out of 3 is likely, but I take the Pirates even up on Saturday with Halladay Jr. going for the Bucs.

• skerney - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Posey isn’t the one going on the radio calling out players like Sabean did with Cousins. Posey said in his conference call with reports that he doesn’t want to “vilify” cousins. This whole flap is a result of the media ramming it down our throats, Bochy calling for a rule change, Sabean being a tool, and Sirius radio calling up a popular outspoken player who they KNEW would give them red meat. LoMo was angry but showed more class than Sabean did. Posey has nothing to do with this. Sabean saying Poesy wouldn’t take Cousins call is private and here say. (sp?) This is Sabes and the medias conflagration, not Poseys. All he did was get injured on the diamond and his GM and the Blogoshere and media are milking it.

10. joecool16280 - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:26 PM

If all parties involved (including team mates) just kept quiet this whole mess would go away

11. kingjoe1 - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Great job MOrrison. The Giant-babies are acting like this is the first time a catcher was run into at the plate. Oh how I wish Pete Rose was still playing. He would have run over a Giants backup catcher just for fun.

Posey is a huge P and his boss is even worse.

• okokyourewrong - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM

My favorite pete rose moment was when he was piledrived by Kane during Wrestlemania.

• skerney - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I love that Ray Fosse goes to work everyday at a big league stadium, and Pete Rose is an unemployed felon who has to buy a ticket and sit in the stands.

12. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:39 PM

It is like the Josh Hamilton injury…it is something that happens 1,000 times without incident, and nobody says boo. Then when one guy gets hurt everyone says the rule book needs to be rewritten. You know what, sheet happens, and it sucks for Posey, but that is what happens in this game.

BTW, where was all this furor over Nishioka’s broken leg? Or Carlos Guillen? Hell, even Jason LaRue did not get this much sympathy for getting kicked in the face which ended his career.

• cur68 - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Actually as far as HBT goes, things were pretty heated around here after all of those incidents. In some cases still are. I’ve lost track but I bet it’s about once a week someone brings up Cueto high kicking LaRue. The trouble with this incident is that GMs & players are now running their fool mouths and the sports media is pouring the gas on because of how indiscreet these guys are all being. The 2 guys in the middle are now both being victimized over what was an arguably legit baseball play even if wholly unnecessary on the part of Cousins.

13. itsanotherpov - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Okay, let’s all be honest. Was it a perfectly legal baseball play? Yes. Was Scott Cousins and his career .222 batting average and .159 2011 batting average trying to make an impression with the Marlins? Yes. If I were in his situation would I try to do the same? Probably.

Whether Brian Sabean should have said anything is one thing, but those kind of things are talked about internally in baseball. Bottom line is the next time they play someone will get hit and hopefully that will be the end of it. You just have to remember what Posey means to SF.

Scott Cousins did go to USF (Univeristy of San Francisco) and is a huge fan of the Giants. I’m sure he feels bad, but for Logan Morrison to call Posey out on not returning a call is absolutely ridiculous. Buster Posey has career and rehab issues on his mind right now. I’m sure the first thing on his mind is to return the call so that it makes Scott Cousins feel better. Dude, seriously what world do you live in?

Logan Morrison like Brian Sabean should just concentrate on their respective jobs.

• Andrew - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:17 PM

How many times does a player injure another player, then apologizes about it, and the apology is accepted? Way more often than someone that refuses to accept an apology. Sorry, but I’m on LoMo’s side here.

• okokyourewrong - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:10 PM

I’m sure Posey will get back to Cousins eventually. I’m sure he will wait for the right time so he doesn’t say anything stupid like “LoMo”.

If you listen to Sabean’s interview you’d realize Posey has a lot on his plate right now.
        1) phantom pain
        2) having to move because he can’t get around his residence
        3) a wife who is pregnant and due very soon

Remember, LoMo isn’t exactly a class act and shouldn’t call out Posey who has done nothing wrong.

• itsanotherpov - Jun 4, 2011 at 5:19 PM

From Buster Posey:

“I appreciate the continued support of Giants fans and others as I begin the process of working my way back,” Posey said in the release. “But in no way do I condone threats of any kind against Scott Cousins or his family.

“As I said last week, I’m not out to vilify Scott,” the statement reads. “I appreciate that he made the effort to reach out to me on the night of the play, but I was in no physical condition to talk to anyone. I have not been back with the team since that night, so I haven’t even been aware of any other messages he’s left for me. We all need to move on, so it isn’t necessary to have a conversation with him at this point.”

14. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Posey just comes off like an ass; he especially did last year. I don’t know, something about him. I know this isn’t constructive, and Logan is right on the money, but I am not surprised at all to hear of Posey having questionable actions.

• sonoco - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:04 PM

What in the hell are you talking about? Especially last year? Is it 4:20 where you live? I think there’s something about you . . . I don’t know. I know this will get me into the Twilight Zone, but what did Posey do last year that you think made him come off like an ass? Was he too humble for you or something?

• okokyourewrong - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Questionable actions? Wrong.

15. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:28 PM

It’s the air he always gave off when I saw him interviewed. Am I not entitled to have an impression left on me that’s different? And I don’t recall attacking you, so please don’t do something similar back.

• sonoco - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Of course you’re entitled . . . and of course your impression contrary to reality.

• thomas2727 - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Honestly I think Posey is a little camera shy. Shy people come off as aloof many times.

I went to a commercial shoot for the Giants last Feb and Posey would turn his back when people tried to take his picture.

My take was he was not comfortable around all the cameras and fans. Not an ass.

Not everybody has the camera persona Brian Wilson has.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I can understand that, Thomas. I definitely hope my.past impressions of him have been off the mark.

16. sonoco - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I agree Sabean should have checked himself in that interview. I heard the interview live in the Bay Area and my jaw dropped. His comments were petulant and unnecessary and Morrison was accurate as it relates to Sabean.

As far as his comments on Posey, Morrison can go to hell. I don’t blame Posey one bit for not reaching out to the guy who took him out . . . within the rules or not. Posey has every right to be bitter right now . . . though I’m sure that feeling will fade over time . . . assuming his catastrophic injuries heal properly.

17. nyyankeedave - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I agree with Morrison. Posey should get together with Cousins and put this thing to sleep. For good. They should have a beer and talk it out. It’d be therapeutic for both. And who knows, out of all this, they might actually become friends. Now wouldn’t that make one helluva Hallmark movie?

18. kathybaseball - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:47 PM

How ironic that Giants fans are making death threats towards Cousins, when one of their own was beaten into a coma by Dodger fans. Can you say hypocritical???

I’ve seen far worse collisions at the plate that didn’t result in injury. When ex-football player Darin Erstad trucked then-Braves catcher Johnny Estrada there was a lot of backlash but there were no rule changes as a result of it (maybe because Estrada didn’t win Rookie of the Year prior to that play?). And there certainly were no death threats made against Erstad.

Cousins was trying to knock the ball loose, not Posey’s left leg. It looks like Posey’s position as he tried to apply the tag and the angle that he landed at after the collision caused the injury, not Cousins trying to win a game in extra innings.

• okokyourewrong - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I think the with way Cousins launched himself shoulder first toward Posey’s neck that they should be happy it was only an ankle injury.

19. macjacmccoy - Jun 5, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Thats exactly what I was saying Posey needs to grow up and answer the goes calls or fans and his peers are going to start to think of him as soft.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3481)