Jun 4, 2011, 10:29 AM EDT
It wasn’t pretty, but it happened.
Adam Dunn wasn’t even in the original starting lineup for last night’s game against the Tigers, as he was expected to sit against left-hander Andy Oliver, but he ended up being a last-minute replacement for Paul Konerko, who underwent a minor wrist procedure earlier in the day.
The high-priced slugger entered Friday’s action hitless over his first 38 at-bats against left-handed pitching this season. He fouled out in the second inning and grounded out in the third to extend his hitless streak to 40 at-bats. In his third at-bat in the fifth inning, Dunn faced left-hander Charlie Furbush, who entered the game in relief of Oliver in the bottom of the fourth inning. Then the magic happened.
Dunn was jammed pretty badly and punched one out between first and second base. Miguel Cabrera fielded the ball cleanly, but Dunn was able to beat Furbush to the first base bag.
Yes, Adam Dunn’s first hit against a left-hander this season will go down in the history books as an infield single. Hey, it counts. As he told Sahadev Sharma of ESPNChicago.com, it’s a moment he will never forget.
“It was awesome,” Dunn said, jokingly. “Really one of my career highlights.”
Dunn, who signed a four-year, $56 million contract with the White Sox this winter, is batting .182/.327/.324 over his first 217 plate appearances this season. He leads the American League with 72 strikeouts. It can only get better from here.
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 17
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 41
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 185
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (185)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)