Jun 4, 2011, 10:29 AM EDT
It wasn’t pretty, but it happened.
Adam Dunn wasn’t even in the original starting lineup for last night’s game against the Tigers, as he was expected to sit against left-hander Andy Oliver, but he ended up being a last-minute replacement for Paul Konerko, who underwent a minor wrist procedure earlier in the day.
The high-priced slugger entered Friday’s action hitless over his first 38 at-bats against left-handed pitching this season. He fouled out in the second inning and grounded out in the third to extend his hitless streak to 40 at-bats. In his third at-bat in the fifth inning, Dunn faced left-hander Charlie Furbush, who entered the game in relief of Oliver in the bottom of the fourth inning. Then the magic happened.
Dunn was jammed pretty badly and punched one out between first and second base. Miguel Cabrera fielded the ball cleanly, but Dunn was able to beat Furbush to the first base bag.
Yes, Adam Dunn’s first hit against a left-hander this season will go down in the history books as an infield single. Hey, it counts. As he told Sahadev Sharma of ESPNChicago.com, it’s a moment he will never forget.
“It was awesome,” Dunn said, jokingly. “Really one of my career highlights.”
Dunn, who signed a four-year, $56 million contract with the White Sox this winter, is batting .182/.327/.324 over his first 217 plate appearances this season. He leads the American League with 72 strikeouts. It can only get better from here.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)