Jun 4, 2011, 10:29 AM EDT
It wasn’t pretty, but it happened.
Adam Dunn wasn’t even in the original starting lineup for last night’s game against the Tigers, as he was expected to sit against left-hander Andy Oliver, but he ended up being a last-minute replacement for Paul Konerko, who underwent a minor wrist procedure earlier in the day.
The high-priced slugger entered Friday’s action hitless over his first 38 at-bats against left-handed pitching this season. He fouled out in the second inning and grounded out in the third to extend his hitless streak to 40 at-bats. In his third at-bat in the fifth inning, Dunn faced left-hander Charlie Furbush, who entered the game in relief of Oliver in the bottom of the fourth inning. Then the magic happened.
Dunn was jammed pretty badly and punched one out between first and second base. Miguel Cabrera fielded the ball cleanly, but Dunn was able to beat Furbush to the first base bag.
Yes, Adam Dunn’s first hit against a left-hander this season will go down in the history books as an infield single. Hey, it counts. As he told Sahadev Sharma of ESPNChicago.com, it’s a moment he will never forget.
“It was awesome,” Dunn said, jokingly. “Really one of my career highlights.”
Dunn, who signed a four-year, $56 million contract with the White Sox this winter, is batting .182/.327/.324 over his first 217 plate appearances this season. He leads the American League with 72 strikeouts. It can only get better from here.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)