Jun 4, 2011, 8:03 PM EDT
You can forget all that talk about Brandon Belt‘s wrist injury being of the minor variety.
According to the Giants’ official Twitter feed, the promising 23-year-old was diagnosed Saturday with a hairline fracture in his left wrist and has been placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Belt was struck in the wrist by a pitch on Tuesday night in St. Louis. Initial X-rays showed no break, but further testing this weekend revealed the hairline fracture. He’s likely to miss at least a full month.
Belt is batting .211/.328/.281 with one home run and four RBI through his first 67 major league plate appearances. The Giants have recalled outfielder Cole Gillespie from the Triple-A Fresno Grizzlies to take his spot on the 25-man roster.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 22
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (103)