Jun 4, 2011, 8:03 PM EST
You can forget all that talk about Brandon Belt‘s wrist injury being of the minor variety.
According to the Giants’ official Twitter feed, the promising 23-year-old was diagnosed Saturday with a hairline fracture in his left wrist and has been placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Belt was struck in the wrist by a pitch on Tuesday night in St. Louis. Initial X-rays showed no break, but further testing this weekend revealed the hairline fracture. He’s likely to miss at least a full month.
Belt is batting .211/.328/.281 with one home run and four RBI through his first 67 major league plate appearances. The Giants have recalled outfielder Cole Gillespie from the Triple-A Fresno Grizzlies to take his spot on the 25-man roster.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 115
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 41
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (115)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)