Jun 4, 2011, 8:03 PM EDT
You can forget all that talk about Brandon Belt‘s wrist injury being of the minor variety.
According to the Giants’ official Twitter feed, the promising 23-year-old was diagnosed Saturday with a hairline fracture in his left wrist and has been placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Belt was struck in the wrist by a pitch on Tuesday night in St. Louis. Initial X-rays showed no break, but further testing this weekend revealed the hairline fracture. He’s likely to miss at least a full month.
Belt is batting .211/.328/.281 with one home run and four RBI through his first 67 major league plate appearances. The Giants have recalled outfielder Cole Gillespie from the Triple-A Fresno Grizzlies to take his spot on the 25-man roster.
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel