Jun 4, 2011, 8:03 PM EDT
You can forget all that talk about Brandon Belt‘s wrist injury being of the minor variety.
According to the Giants’ official Twitter feed, the promising 23-year-old was diagnosed Saturday with a hairline fracture in his left wrist and has been placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Belt was struck in the wrist by a pitch on Tuesday night in St. Louis. Initial X-rays showed no break, but further testing this weekend revealed the hairline fracture. He’s likely to miss at least a full month.
Belt is batting .211/.328/.281 with one home run and four RBI through his first 67 major league plate appearances. The Giants have recalled outfielder Cole Gillespie from the Triple-A Fresno Grizzlies to take his spot on the 25-man roster.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 18
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 79
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)