Jun 4, 2011, 8:03 PM EDT
You can forget all that talk about Brandon Belt‘s wrist injury being of the minor variety.
According to the Giants’ official Twitter feed, the promising 23-year-old was diagnosed Saturday with a hairline fracture in his left wrist and has been placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Belt was struck in the wrist by a pitch on Tuesday night in St. Louis. Initial X-rays showed no break, but further testing this weekend revealed the hairline fracture. He’s likely to miss at least a full month.
Belt is batting .211/.328/.281 with one home run and four RBI through his first 67 major league plate appearances. The Giants have recalled outfielder Cole Gillespie from the Triple-A Fresno Grizzlies to take his spot on the 25-man roster.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 14
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)