Jun 4, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson has some very important decisions to make about the future of the franchise in the coming weeks and months. Various scenarios have been discussed and speculated in the media, including the possibility of parting with both David Wright and Jose Reyes.
Chipper Jones has been torturing the Mets on a regular basis since the mid-90s, so he has a unique perspective on the well-being of his division rivals. When asked by the New York Daily News yesterday whether the Mets should keep either Wright or Reyes for the long-term, Jones put his support behind his fellow third baseman.
“David is certainly the cornerstone that you would like to build your organization around,” Jones said before hitting a monster homer in Friday night’s 6-3 victory over the Mets. “Unfortunately they have two players that are very dynamic on the left side of the infield that you would like to build your team around. That’s a very tough decision to make if you can only keep one as an organization.”
“I don’t know Jose as well, but I do know that when he’s at the top of his game, he’s the most dynamic leadoff hitter in the game,” Jones said of Reyes, who figures to command big money as a free agent. “And he is also a guy that you would want to build your team on top of.
“It’s something that they are going to have to weigh their options. But, off the top of my head, if you are asking me my opinion, I would want to build my team around David Wright.”
Not a particularly surprising answer, though if Alderson starts taking advice from Jones, the Mets are in worse shape than I thought. The man clearly can’t be trusted.
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 33
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 59
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 30
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- Cardinals reportedly making a strong push to acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 49
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)