Jun 4, 2011, 1:00 PM EST
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson has some very important decisions to make about the future of the franchise in the coming weeks and months. Various scenarios have been discussed and speculated in the media, including the possibility of parting with both David Wright and Jose Reyes.
Chipper Jones has been torturing the Mets on a regular basis since the mid-90s, so he has a unique perspective on the well-being of his division rivals. When asked by the New York Daily News yesterday whether the Mets should keep either Wright or Reyes for the long-term, Jones put his support behind his fellow third baseman.
“David is certainly the cornerstone that you would like to build your organization around,” Jones said before hitting a monster homer in Friday night’s 6-3 victory over the Mets. “Unfortunately they have two players that are very dynamic on the left side of the infield that you would like to build your team around. That’s a very tough decision to make if you can only keep one as an organization.”
“I don’t know Jose as well, but I do know that when he’s at the top of his game, he’s the most dynamic leadoff hitter in the game,” Jones said of Reyes, who figures to command big money as a free agent. “And he is also a guy that you would want to build your team on top of.
“It’s something that they are going to have to weigh their options. But, off the top of my head, if you are asking me my opinion, I would want to build my team around David Wright.”
Not a particularly surprising answer, though if Alderson starts taking advice from Jones, the Mets are in worse shape than I thought. The man clearly can’t be trusted.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)