Jun 4, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson has some very important decisions to make about the future of the franchise in the coming weeks and months. Various scenarios have been discussed and speculated in the media, including the possibility of parting with both David Wright and Jose Reyes.
Chipper Jones has been torturing the Mets on a regular basis since the mid-90s, so he has a unique perspective on the well-being of his division rivals. When asked by the New York Daily News yesterday whether the Mets should keep either Wright or Reyes for the long-term, Jones put his support behind his fellow third baseman.
“David is certainly the cornerstone that you would like to build your organization around,” Jones said before hitting a monster homer in Friday night’s 6-3 victory over the Mets. “Unfortunately they have two players that are very dynamic on the left side of the infield that you would like to build your team around. That’s a very tough decision to make if you can only keep one as an organization.”
“I don’t know Jose as well, but I do know that when he’s at the top of his game, he’s the most dynamic leadoff hitter in the game,” Jones said of Reyes, who figures to command big money as a free agent. “And he is also a guy that you would want to build your team on top of.
“It’s something that they are going to have to weigh their options. But, off the top of my head, if you are asking me my opinion, I would want to build my team around David Wright.”
Not a particularly surprising answer, though if Alderson starts taking advice from Jones, the Mets are in worse shape than I thought. The man clearly can’t be trusted.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 16
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 1
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)