Jun 4, 2011, 2:09 PM EDT
UPDATE: Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe tells us that Buchholz will indeed start against the Yankees next week.
Apologies for the false alarm. Carry on, everyone.
2:02 PM: First the Yankees miss Dan Haren, now this?
According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, Red Sox manager Terry Francona indicated this morning that Clay Buchholz may miss his scheduled start next Wednesday against the Yankees due to concerns about discomfort in his lower back.
“I think the way he explained it was that it didn’t hurt, but I think it was on his mind that maybe it was going to hurt,” Francona said. “I think he was wondering if he was going to get to a certain point and it was going to grab at him, and it didn’t. I think we want to sit down with him and figure out the best way to go forward, whether it’s in five days or give him a couple extra days.”
Buchholz allowed six runs (five earned) on eight hits over 4 2/3 innings last night in a no-decision against the Athletics. The 26-year-old right-hander is 4-3 with a 3.82 ERA and 49/26 K/BB ratio over his first 12 starts this season.
Tim Wakefield was scheduled to throw a bullpen session today just in case he’s needed to start against the Bombers next week.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 17
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 10
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)