Jun 4, 2011, 2:09 PM EDT
UPDATE: Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe tells us that Buchholz will indeed start against the Yankees next week.
Apologies for the false alarm. Carry on, everyone.
2:02 PM: First the Yankees miss Dan Haren, now this?
According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, Red Sox manager Terry Francona indicated this morning that Clay Buchholz may miss his scheduled start next Wednesday against the Yankees due to concerns about discomfort in his lower back.
“I think the way he explained it was that it didn’t hurt, but I think it was on his mind that maybe it was going to hurt,” Francona said. “I think he was wondering if he was going to get to a certain point and it was going to grab at him, and it didn’t. I think we want to sit down with him and figure out the best way to go forward, whether it’s in five days or give him a couple extra days.”
Buchholz allowed six runs (five earned) on eight hits over 4 2/3 innings last night in a no-decision against the Athletics. The 26-year-old right-hander is 4-3 with a 3.82 ERA and 49/26 K/BB ratio over his first 12 starts this season.
Tim Wakefield was scheduled to throw a bullpen session today just in case he’s needed to start against the Bombers next week.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 26
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 43
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)