Jun 4, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
Mauer, who caught five innings and threw out a baserunner earlier today, has been playing in extended spring training games for a little over a week now. He was placed on the 60-day disabled list earlier this week, so he won’t be eligible to return until June 12. Setbacks are certainly possible, but his recent progress suggests he could be ready to rejoin the Twins on or around that date.
Mauer was batting .235/.289/.265 with one double and four RBI over his first 38 plate appearances before going on the disabled list with bilateral leg weakness in April.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)