Jun 4, 2011, 3:13 PM EDT
Though it’s taken entirely too long, everyone involved is beginning to say the right things. Adults acting like adults. What a concept? Still, when a Hall of Fame catcher like Johnny Bench weighs in on the situation, well, you have no choice but to give him your full attention.
In a wide-ranging interview with Tulsa World earlier this week, the 10-time Gold Glove backstop was highly critical of Buster Posey’s positioning at home plate during the much-debated play in question.
“When I heard about the injury, I was anxious to see how this happened. Buster put himself in such a bad position. First of all, my catchers don’t sit in front of home plate. They stand away from home plate and work back to the plate. But we (catchers) are just fair game. You’ve got a guy running around third base at 210 to 220 pounds with 3 percent body fat and with sprinter’s speed. I teach my kids to stay away from the plate when you don’t have the ball so the runner actually sees home plate and his thought is, slide. But Buster is laying in front of home plate, and it’s like having a disabled car in the middle of a four-lane highway. You’re just going to get smacked. Show them the plate. You can always catch the ball and step, or step and catch the ball, as long as you’ve got the runner on the ground. And if you have the runner on the ground, there’s less chance of any severe collision.”
Let’s see, should we trust the opinion of someone who is considered the best defensive catcher of all-time or Brian Sabean? That’s a tough one.
For what it’s worth, former catcher and current MLB VP of operations Joe Torre told Barry M. Bloom of MLB.com that while he will “listen” to concerns, he doesn’t see any rule changes on the horizon.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 10
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 66
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 72
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (147)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)