Jun 4, 2011, 11:18 AM EST
UPDATE: David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Schafer was diagnosed with a small non-displaced sinus fracture.
The Braves will hold off on a roster move for now, but Matt Young and Joe Mather will likely see time in center field over the next few days. Wilkin Ramirez would likely be called up from Triple-A Gwinnett if Schafer requires a stint on the disabled list.
Friday, 9:12 PM: Braves center fielder Jordan Schafer was taken to the hospital for X-rays after fouling a bunt attempt off his face in the fifth inning of Friday’s game against the Mets.
Schafer was trying to drop one down for a hit, but the ball went off the top of his bat and caught him in the right side of the face in the area of his upper lip and nose.
Schafer has been the Braves’ everyday center fielder since Nate McLouth landed on the disabled list last month. McLouth is believed to be at least a week away, so the Braves will have to scramble if Schafer is going to miss some time. Joe Mather took his place in center tonight, but neither Mather nor fellow backup Wilkin Ramirez has a lot of range out there.
Update – Whoops. I missed that the Braves had farmed out Ramirez and brought back Matt Young on Tuesday. So they do have a legitimate backup center fielder. One who can’t hit, but a legitimate backup nonetheless.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 64
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 30
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)