Red Sox confirm Tommy John surgery for Daisuke Matsuzaka

Jun 4, 2011, 9:50 AM EST

Daisuke Matsuzaka

It’s official.

After last night’s game, Red Sox manager Terry Francona confirmed that Daisuke Matsuzaka will indeed have Tommy John surgery.

According to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com, Francona said the surgery would happen “probably next week” and will be performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum in California.

Matsuzaka will miss the rest of this season and at least the early part of the 2012 season, which is the final year of his contract with the Red Sox. The 30-year-old right-hander is 49-30 with a 4.25 ERA since signing with Boston in December of 2006, including a 5.30 ERA and 26/23 K/BB ratio over 37 1/3 innings this season.

1. patsandsox - Jun 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Good luck and Goodbye DiceK

2. pisano - Jun 4, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Who cares? I just hope I never have to watch this human slow motion machine again.

• uyf1950 - Jun 4, 2011 at 6:26 PM

My friend, I care. He was always good for a couple of stink-o performance versus the Yankees. I’m going to miss that. Sorry to disagree with you. That’s just my opinion.

• bobwsc - Jun 4, 2011 at 7:45 PM

you have Phil Hughes to fill that void

3. aceshigh11 - Jun 4, 2011 at 1:29 PM

No hard feelings, but hopefully we Sox fans have seen the last of Matsuzaka in a Boston uniform.

He gave us a couple of good seasons, and a whole lot of heartburn and headaches. Talented pitcher, but way too stubborn and not cut out for U.S. baseball.

• pisano - Jun 4, 2011 at 1:49 PM

A very kind way of saying he drove the fans nuts. Watching this guy pitch was like watching a soccer game, you wait and wait for something to happen and 3 days later someone scores. He was just annoying to watch.

• aceshigh11 - Jun 4, 2011 at 2:03 PM

No question about it, but I’m not going to tapdance on his Red Sox grave (so to speak).

He did give us a couple of pretty good years…not $100 million worth, but still…

4. pisano - Jun 4, 2011 at 6:51 PM

aceshigh11…. I don’t disagree, but if he does come back I feel it’s only right to let the National League have a chance to see his boring ass.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester