Jun 4, 2011, 9:50 AM EDT
After last night’s game, Red Sox manager Terry Francona confirmed that Daisuke Matsuzaka will indeed have Tommy John surgery.
According to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com, Francona said the surgery would happen “probably next week” and will be performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum in California.
Matsuzaka will miss the rest of this season and at least the early part of the 2012 season, which is the final year of his contract with the Red Sox. The 30-year-old right-hander is 49-30 with a 4.25 ERA since signing with Boston in December of 2006, including a 5.30 ERA and 26/23 K/BB ratio over 37 1/3 innings this season.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 20
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 10
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 24
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 64
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)