Jun 4, 2011, 9:50 AM EDT
After last night’s game, Red Sox manager Terry Francona confirmed that Daisuke Matsuzaka will indeed have Tommy John surgery.
According to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com, Francona said the surgery would happen “probably next week” and will be performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum in California.
Matsuzaka will miss the rest of this season and at least the early part of the 2012 season, which is the final year of his contract with the Red Sox. The 30-year-old right-hander is 49-30 with a 4.25 ERA since signing with Boston in December of 2006, including a 5.30 ERA and 26/23 K/BB ratio over 37 1/3 innings this season.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)