Jun 4, 2011, 9:50 AM EST
After last night’s game, Red Sox manager Terry Francona confirmed that Daisuke Matsuzaka will indeed have Tommy John surgery.
According to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com, Francona said the surgery would happen “probably next week” and will be performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum in California.
Matsuzaka will miss the rest of this season and at least the early part of the 2012 season, which is the final year of his contract with the Red Sox. The 30-year-old right-hander is 49-30 with a 4.25 ERA since signing with Boston in December of 2006, including a 5.30 ERA and 26/23 K/BB ratio over 37 1/3 innings this season.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)