Jun 4, 2011, 9:50 AM EST
After last night’s game, Red Sox manager Terry Francona confirmed that Daisuke Matsuzaka will indeed have Tommy John surgery.
According to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com, Francona said the surgery would happen “probably next week” and will be performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum in California.
Matsuzaka will miss the rest of this season and at least the early part of the 2012 season, which is the final year of his contract with the Red Sox. The 30-year-old right-hander is 49-30 with a 4.25 ERA since signing with Boston in December of 2006, including a 5.30 ERA and 26/23 K/BB ratio over 37 1/3 innings this season.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)