Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Jun 4, 2011, 8:34 AM EDT

Oakland Athletics v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

You asked for it. We responded.

In the absence of “And That Happened” on the weekends, we’ve had a number of readers request a post on Saturday and Sunday mornings that includes the scores from the previous night’s action and generally opens up the floor for conversation.

It’s nothing fancy, but that’s exactly what you’ll find here.

Red Sox 8, Athletics 6

Blue Jays 8, Orioles 4

Pirates 2, Phillies 1 (12 innings)

Reds 2, Dodgers 1

Rangers 11, Indians 2

White Sox 6, Tigers 4

Braves 6, Mets 3

Brewers 6, Marlins 5

Cardinals 6, Cubs 1

Twins 5, Royals 2

Diamondbacks 4, Nationals 0

Angels 3, Yankees 2

Padres 3, Astros 1

Mariners 7, Rays 0

Giants 3, Rockies 1

Have at it, folks.

1. Justin - Jun 4, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Pavano went CG vs Royals. Finally doing what he was suppose to be doing all year for Twins fans. Unfortunately, probably too little too late. (Twins recap http://minnesporta.wordpress.com/2011/06/04/twins-make-it-two-in-a-row-mauer-update/)

2. wonkypenguin - Jun 4, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Drew Butera went 1 for 2 with 2 RBIs and actually scored a run, raising his BA to .140.

Mauer schmauer.

3. sknut - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM

The best part duirng the Twins game was Dick Bremer saying the Indians score and saying that the ‘Twins have an excellent chance to pick up a game’ I know its not easy being an announcer for a team that is having a rotten year but thats a little over the top, I know he did the same a couple of weeks ago and Blyleven called him on it.

• spudchukar - Jun 4, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Thanks for the cool anecdote. Made me laugh.

4. wkinsomnia - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I almost fell out of my chair when Juan Pierre hit that HR last night. He was ear to ear his entire ‘trot’. Great to finally see the Chi So clicking on all cylinders!

5. yankeesfanlen - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Yankees-Angels must have deferred to the East Coast clientele by not bothering to score after the fourth inning. That was after Nova warped but did not melt down (so tired of the bent-but-didn’t- break cliche) and made it through the sixth, still with a poor outcome.
    The Universe is back to old habits: not scoring in late innings, dropping the first game of a series. But Swish did draw a couple of walks off Kid Brother, ARod scored the two runs, one actually driven in by our myastery man batting 8th. Wins tonight and tomorrow will help get us ready for that long homestand coming up.

• Professor Longnose - Jun 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I stayed up until 1:00 in the morning to see three Yankee hits.

• Brian Murphy - Jun 4, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I went to the game last night, and as a Yankees fan, I expected nothing less than a loss to the Angels. It’s been that way for at least 15 years now, they have New York’s number.
        Nova pitched pretty well, although his control was inconsistent. Against that average lineup, it was a par effort.
        The real story was Jared Weaver. The Yankees worked him through the first five innings as he threw 101 pitches. He began the game with a 15-pitch at bat to Jeter. Plus, he couldn’t locate his fastball. So he went to his softer stuff and completely befuddled the Yanks in the sixth and seventh innings. It didn’t help that the Yankees bailed him out in a five-pitch sixth inning, but I give it up to Weaver; he battled.
        If you’re the Yankees, this game doesn’t stay with you long. It was just a bad night. You can’t really say they didn’t get any timely hits because they had hardly anyone on base to drive in during “clutch” situations.
        They had Weaver on the ropes, couldn’t get anything done past the fifth inning and were shut down by the bullpen. It happens. You move on.

6. APBA Guy - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:17 AM

The A’s took a 4-0 lead in the top of the first and couldn’t hold it as Boston’s superior lineup pummeled the A’s starter and bullpen. Buchholz had zero fastball command which allowed the light hitting A’s to double their normal runs per game.

7. halladaysbicepts - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:36 AM

This Phillies offense is outright pathetic. They could have played a 30 inning game last night and would not have scored. I’m so sick and tired of bad at-bat after bad at-bat. These guys suck at the plate.

Charlie Manuel needs to start kicking some chairs and busting some heads in that clubhouse.

Another great pitching performance by one of our aces wasted.

Atlanta or Florida, the division is yours for the taking. These pigs known as the Phillies don’t want it.

8. uuddlrlrbastart - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Could someone explain to Terry Collins that if you have a 38 year old reliever who missed the prior season and threw all of 8 inning the season before, you don’t want to use him every damn game?

9. yankeesfanlen - Jun 4, 2011 at 11:16 AM

DJ-
    Thanks for posting this catch-all. It keeps us from sabotaging other threads with our random rants and rages about our own particular platforms. And you know we’d do that anyway being our usual cantankerous selves.
    And hopefully, there might be some actual Yankees and/or Phillies threads that may come up to further the anarchy.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Len,

Cantankerous? No way. The bicepts never gets cantankerous.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM

That’s strange. I looked it up in Webster’s and they had a little picture……….

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 4, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Well, this is true. My picture is probably right there next to it.

I’ll tell you what. As a Phillies fan, I see everyday a lineup that looks old. I now know how the Yankees fans feel about looking at an older lineup day in and day out.

The only difference is that the Yankees lineup is about 10 times better than the Phillies.

• spudchukar - Jun 4, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Yeah and at the end of the definition it said SEE: BULLSHIT.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 4, 2011 at 12:52 PM

That’s right, spudchukar. You got me pegged just right. You should get a job working for Webster’s Dictionary. Use me as a reference. Their familiar with my work.

• spudchukar - Jun 4, 2011 at 1:08 PM

“Their” probably not.

• gogigantos - Jun 4, 2011 at 1:15 PM

who are “they” anyway, and when will “they” finally stop messing with the world, and us, and finally let Mr. t find some peace so he can leave all of us alone, in peace,,

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 4, 2011 at 1:26 PM

MR. T does not know peace. He fought Rocky and was a member of the A-Team. Mr. T pittys fools.

• gogigantos - Jun 4, 2011 at 1:53 PM

just maybe, Mr. T takes pity on fools and loves them all equally? us?
        oh
        help me mr t,,,

10. gogigantos - Jun 4, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Mr. T found peace having fought his battles. I have a feeling about how he might feel about you mr. t. May you find peace in your future, and share it with us all, and them. I may be growing fond of you mr t, maybe I have found some peace in a smooth fielding short stop and future duel with your Phils come October,, yikes,, say something rude little t so I can get back to the peace of not loving you brother ball fan,,,,
    feel
    the
    mind
    slipping

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 4, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Actually, the bicepts is usually at peace with himself. What drives the bicepts nuts is not that the Phillies have dropped 3 games in a row, it is that they have laid down like dogs. Play hard and lose, I don’t have a problem. But, they are currently playing like dogs and must be called out on it.

I am turning over a new leaf. No more rudeness to fellow posters from the bicepts.

My rudeness is only directed at thread topics as I see fit. I leave all other things in my wake.

• gogigantos - Jun 4, 2011 at 2:50 PM

From here, the Philidelphias not scoring early, late or often is fine by me. I do expect that inner peace and the path to October for us both will be found in continued rotation health. I certainly understand the pain of a team that seems to refuse to hit, much less score runs.
        I expect to enjoy watching in a tortured way this Giganto squad rally around the loss of our Savior Posey and find the promised land behind a young and slick short stop taking over for potted plant species Tejada and roll the West with tortured ease,, and even in October,, won’t get rude with you brother ball fan mr t.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 4, 2011 at 3:04 PM

The Giants will probably win the west because I really think the rest of the division is weak and because of the Giants starting pitching.

However, I am not as confident with the Phillies right now. Even though the Phillies have great starting pitching, their offense is just terrible. And I think that either Florida and Atlanta could take the NL East if the Phillies fall asleep. Unlike most Phillies fans, I see the obvious flaws with this team.

11. gogigantos - Jun 4, 2011 at 3:17 PM

tis the journey of the long season to find peace and strength and accept the fates while battling for your destiny,, finding the heart,, have they a heart
    what is weak in Phillie is plain to see for all
    so are the strengths, and they are strong,,
    what is difficult is making changes if they don’t wake up
    and are the Bravos strong enough to catch,, or the Feesh,, mmm hate me some Feesh for many a long year little t,, it was Devon White grand effin slammin over my head at the old yard to sweep in game three on their way to their first,, hate me some Feesh,, not even talkin the Posey Drama,, Our Savior will return, stronger and faster,, mmm hate me some Feesh,,, are they strong, or will they fade,, rotation health?? is the Utley one step or two slow in the field,, has looked odd to me for a while,, maybe he gets stronger and the East is a cakewalk by the end of August
    or it all goes to the dogs and it takes more than a few beers to get settled late night before the nightmares return,,
    tis a long test of faith in your club to find peace for sure
    stick to snark and truth mr t, you will find much that is good and true here
    danger Will Robinson!!! out of control posting alert!! Danger!! Danger!!

12. gogigantos - Jun 4, 2011 at 3:22 PM

was it a Devon effin White grand salami,, was it their first?? second???? damn,, hate me some Feesh,, lazy and looking forward, not back ,,
    that does not mean that I want to be hunting any Feesh revenge all you Posey Drama Heads!!!!!!!!! winning on the field of battle is about finding a way to peace and ending bloodshed,,,
    peace
    out
    game time

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3083)