Jun 5, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
According to Manny Navarro, beat writer for the Miami Herald, Ramirez is likely to be placed on the 15-day disabled list on Monday morning.
An MRI taken last week showed only inflammation, but it’s the kind of inflammation that isn’t going to suddenly disappear. Hanley needs rest, and the Marlins need to free up a 25-man roster spot so that they’re no longer playing a man short.
Ramirez is off to a frighteningly slow start this season, batting just .210 with a .306 on-base percentage and .309 slugging percentage through 207 plate appearances. He has just four home runs, 10 total extra-base hits, and has been caught stealing on six of his 11 attempts. Perhaps the rest will do him some good.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)