Jun 5, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
According to Manny Navarro, beat writer for the Miami Herald, Ramirez is likely to be placed on the 15-day disabled list on Monday morning.
An MRI taken last week showed only inflammation, but it’s the kind of inflammation that isn’t going to suddenly disappear. Hanley needs rest, and the Marlins need to free up a 25-man roster spot so that they’re no longer playing a man short.
Ramirez is off to a frighteningly slow start this season, batting just .210 with a .306 on-base percentage and .309 slugging percentage through 207 plate appearances. He has just four home runs, 10 total extra-base hits, and has been caught stealing on six of his 11 attempts. Perhaps the rest will do him some good.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 15
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 19
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 18
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)