Jun 5, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
According to Manny Navarro, beat writer for the Miami Herald, Ramirez is likely to be placed on the 15-day disabled list on Monday morning.
An MRI taken last week showed only inflammation, but it’s the kind of inflammation that isn’t going to suddenly disappear. Hanley needs rest, and the Marlins need to free up a 25-man roster spot so that they’re no longer playing a man short.
Ramirez is off to a frighteningly slow start this season, batting just .210 with a .306 on-base percentage and .309 slugging percentage through 207 plate appearances. He has just four home runs, 10 total extra-base hits, and has been caught stealing on six of his 11 attempts. Perhaps the rest will do him some good.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)