Jun 5, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
According to Manny Navarro, beat writer for the Miami Herald, Ramirez is likely to be placed on the 15-day disabled list on Monday morning.
An MRI taken last week showed only inflammation, but it’s the kind of inflammation that isn’t going to suddenly disappear. Hanley needs rest, and the Marlins need to free up a 25-man roster spot so that they’re no longer playing a man short.
Ramirez is off to a frighteningly slow start this season, batting just .210 with a .306 on-base percentage and .309 slugging percentage through 207 plate appearances. He has just four home runs, 10 total extra-base hits, and has been caught stealing on six of his 11 attempts. Perhaps the rest will do him some good.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)