Jun 5, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
According to Manny Navarro, beat writer for the Miami Herald, Ramirez is likely to be placed on the 15-day disabled list on Monday morning.
An MRI taken last week showed only inflammation, but it’s the kind of inflammation that isn’t going to suddenly disappear. Hanley needs rest, and the Marlins need to free up a 25-man roster spot so that they’re no longer playing a man short.
Ramirez is off to a frighteningly slow start this season, batting just .210 with a .306 on-base percentage and .309 slugging percentage through 207 plate appearances. He has just four home runs, 10 total extra-base hits, and has been caught stealing on six of his 11 attempts. Perhaps the rest will do him some good.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 0
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)